I7-4790 or the I5- 4690k for gaming/editing/livestreaming/ 3d modelling?

kingmiltank

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'd just like to get your thoughts on whether an I5- 4690k processor will do just as good of a job than my current planned cpu (an I7 4790). Here are the main things I plan to use my pc for:

Medium/High settings for games at 1080p at the most, using sony vegas pro 13

Video editing for 720/1080p quality videos for youtube.

Livestreaming at 720p at least once a week.

3D softwares such as 3DS Max and Blender, and rendering images with them. I'm a freelance modeler/animator.

Other specs currently include 16gb ram, a gtx 950 GPU, 1x 250 ssd and 1TB HD, and a 450w PSU,

I don't want the I7 4790k, as I know that's too powerful. Would the core i7 be too power inefficient for the above needs.?I'm not entirely sure how big the difference between an i5k and a core i7. I have enough in my budget for either, it's just a matter of choosing, and wanting to be as power efficient as possible.

Many thanks :)

You will gain little to nothing in gaming performance clock for clock and in high graphics quality/resolution settings with an I7 4790K over an I5 4690K. There are countless benchmarks out there that prove it. Now for video editing, you will gain several seconds to several minutes of rendering time with the 4790K depending on how big the file is. So the question is how much more is that extra time savings worth to you?

Now an overclocked 4690K cuts deeply into this advantage over a stock 4790K, but of course the 4790K can be overclocked too to keep the performance gap separation clock for clock. I'm not familiar with 3D software programs. But for only $80 more, unless you were on an extreme budget, I'd recommend getting the 4790K, especially considering how much video/3D apps you plan on using.

And if you can swing a few more bones for the I7 6600K you will even be another step above the 4790K.