I just got a new 250 Gig SSD - How should I install??

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
I have a PNY 240 gig SSD that has everything on it. I just bought a new Samsung 850 EVO. How is the best way to install / slave in this new drive???

Solution
So I litterally just plug it in, give it a letter and thats it????

Yup, that's it.
The PNY at 35% free is fine. Add the new one, and just start using that.
For Steam games, you can designate that drive and folders for alternate install locations. Directly in the Steam client. Origin is similar.

USAFRet

Titan

What are you wanting to do with the new SSD?
Is the OS and other stuff on the existing PNY? If so, leave it.
Add the 850 EVO as just another drive.

Plug it in
Initialize
Give it a drive letter
Done.

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Yes my PNY XLR8 is at 35% free space. I thought about starting over from scratch and have the OS and my 2 games on the PNY and then everything else on the new drive. Although that would be a time consuming deal. If my PNY is ok at 35% then I want to leave everything the way it is and just put everything from here on out on my new Samsung 850. So I litterally just plug it in, give it a letter and thats it????

USAFRet

Titan
So I litterally just plug it in, give it a letter and thats it????

Yup, that's it.
The PNY at 35% free is fine. Add the new one, and just start using that.
For Steam games, you can designate that drive and folders for alternate install locations. Directly in the Steam client. Origin is similar.

Solution

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

We'll give me about 5 mins to put it in, I also just got my 2nd EVGA 970 FTW+ Unfortunatley, my first one is in the shop and I wont it back until end of next week. I'm going to plug in this new drive and I will try and sign back on and tell you what happened, Please stand by lol

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

We''ll I pluged it in and windows doesnt see it. Do I have to do something in the BIOS???

USAFRet

Titan

Does it appear in Disk Management?

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

I know can see the drive in disk management, but it will not let me save new "aps" to it, I'm thinking when it says aps it means programs. If I install a new program on my computer do I have to install the program in the drive with the OS??? Or do I install my Windows 10 on this new drive of mine. With windows 10 its gives you the option of where to save music, videos, pictures, etc. etc. and I have those files set up to automatically save to my new drive, Drive D, but can you have programs stored on a drive without an OS or like I just asked, do I install 10 on my new drive too???? I hope you can help me, I'm kind of lost here. Thanks in advance !!!!

USAFRet

Titan
Applications can be installed on whatever drive you choose.
When installing, select Custom or Advanced. This will let you choose what drive it goes to.
And no, that drive does not need to have Windows installed on it. It's just another drive.

Windows 'apps' from the Windows Store may not give you that choice.

For everything else, see this:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

As anything else that you have had me do, it worked perfectley. I now have all new folders set up on the D-Drive and all of my pics, music, DLs, everything is going to that D drive. I'm getting ready to load Office 365 on this thing, can I install it on the D Drive also?? I will also be installing CAD on this rig this coming week, which is a huge monster program, is it cool to install even the big ones like office and CAD on that storage drive??? Again thanks for all of your help. If you are ever in Orlando Fl. and need a good price on a fence or rail job, I will payback the favor for sure, I run a big fence and rail Co. here but in all seriousness, thanks for all of the help. You have been perfect and Johny on the spot with everything!!!!

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Yeah, I rememeber, I think I saw you driving down the inerstate....lol Hey man I hate to be a pest and I hope I'm not but, I loaded the CD that came with the SSD. Is it good for anything, it's called Samsung magicianIt asks me to clonee and do some other features but is it anything I need?? And really, what is it???

USAFRet

Titan

The Samsung Magician software is good for testing the drive, checking for firmware updates, etc.
Don't worry about the cloning business.

bennyg1357

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Now I have another issue. I get the drive up and running and ever since, my EVGA PrecisionX 16 isn't working. I can load it, not to mention its suppose to load with windows everytime at start up. Anyway, I have deleted it, gone back and downloaded again and re ran and the screen doesnt come up. The one the lets you adjust the clock speed and fan speed and it has all kind of cool setting to play with and no matter what I do I cant get the screen up. Eeven task manager says its running in the background ( using 30+ % of my CPU, which is weird) so it's running I just do not see it, and I have to have it!!! I was thinking about just starting completely over again and just link the 2 drives as one. Now I have heard that it doesnt help speed and all that, I'm just saying maybe it would run better if windows saw it as 1 drive with 490 Gig capacity, instead of the 2, and only one of them running windows. I'm just spitting spit balls here. I'm basically a dumb guy who is trying to teach himself about computers and how to build and set them up. Besides all of the mainatanace tools and futuremark, adobe, bf4 and bf3 there is not much on this rig yet, it wouldn't really be brutal to start over. It would damn saure take some time but not un-doable and I have to figure out why my CPU overslocking program wont come up, even though task manager syays its running. UGH..... Getting frustrated, Let me know know what you think!!!!