Will an 17-870@4.1ghz Bottleneck 4k gaming on EVGA GTX 980FTW

Sd4Insanity

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
Hello everyone. I have a rather strange question. I'm contemplating either purchasing a 4k/60hz monitor, or a new CPU/Mobo combo. Here's my current setup:

17-870@4.1ghz (Corsair closed-loop liquid cooling)
Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD
EVGA GTX 980 FTW GPU
Asus P7P55D-E Pro Mobo
COrsair 850w PSU
4x 2TB HDDs
Windows 7 Ultimate

My question is: Will my current CPU create a bottleneck while attempting 4k gaming at 60hz, or should I forego the purchase of a 4k monitor in favor of a new CPU/Mobo? I've been considering the I7-4770K and an as-of-yet undecided motherboard (although Asus has never steered me wrong). I have the chance to buy a nice 28" Acer 4k/60hz monitor for only $330, but I'm worried my existing CPU may cause problems when gaming at such high resolutions (even though this GPU is supposedly capable and likely handles most of the heavy lifting).

On a side note, I run a small business building consumer-class PCs and networking solutions, so replacing the CPU/Mobo will pay for itself when the old parts are used in a new build for one of my clients. Thank you all in advance for your time.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

your gpu will be the bottleneck at 4k

you need minimum 2 gtx 980 ti's for most newer games

if you only plan on playing something like csgo, then a single 980 is fine

A 1440p monitor would be the ideal for your setup.

Solution

Sd4Insanity

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

I was afraid of that. I never intended to run a single GTX 980 at 4k, but some have said it can handle it depending on the title (evidently optimization can help, and certain games that aren't as texture-intensive will run smoothly). That put me on this path. Further research supports your statement though. Triple A titles will undoubtedly show some lag and potential tearing. I may just run the 4k monitor at 1440p until I can afford a 2nd GTX 980 FTW. I'd rather not upgrade my CPU and Mobo if I can avoid it. Thanks for taking the time to reply.