850 pro has more read/write speed than 950 pro

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
This is pretty weird.My old build i had a 850 pro and did some tweaking to it,along with magician having it in RAPID mode,my new build i have the 950 pro in the ULTRA M.2 SLOT on an Asrock extreme 6/3.1.
Being its in the ultra m.2 slot it SUPPOSEDLY has 32 gbps as opposed to 6gbps.The 950 isnt able to go into rapid mode as of yet.I do a benchmark with samsung magician and the 850 pro is ridiculously faster.
i tried to do some the same tweaks as in the 850 pro,but windows 10 is differrent in settings,it wound up making my writes extremely slow for some reason,so i defaulted everything.
Is this speed difference just because of RAPID mode? Does it really boost it that much?!?
Also,is there a way to verify that i am seeing the 32 Gbps that im supposed to get in the ultra M.2 slot? In magician is said "pci to pci bridge-link speed current 10 Gbps,max 10 Gbps"
how is that? Is that right?The whole reason for the m2 slot is to get the 32 Gbps.
Anyone know what gives here???
have pics below..the higher read/writes are obviously the 850 pro(wanted to re-affirm that being its hard to believe)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/mikmarr/magician%20before%20tweek_zpsryelvg3b.png

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/mikmarr/magician%20bench%2011082015_zpsvsdrhe08.png

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/mikmarr/speed_zpslcwpsquc.png

Solution
That's what Samsung's Rapid mode is! It uses ram to cache the 850. If you want to see the 'Real' speed of the 850 then turn off rapid mode and run the benchmark again.

Rapid mode began with the 840Evo I believe and back then we saw lots of posts like this; its not mis-reporting. It's just people not understanding the technology they are using is all. Nothing a little proper information doesnt fix.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
do i have to uninstall the intel?i actually haved 2 other SSDs an 850 evo and an 840 evo,the device manager has the intel rapid storage tech at the top,then 2 standard AHCI drivers under it(i guess for the 840 and 850 evo?

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
ok i installed the nvme drivers and in device manager i find it under storage controllers/then samsung NVMe controller,but i dont know if its actually functioning on the 950,it does say its working properly

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
ya i installed the new version of magician,and it lloks like in device manager i installed the NVMe controller properly,still the bench marks are about the same....sequential read write 2481/1534 random read/write 180508/100863...looks like the randomread went up about 30 k,ut all else is the same...i just cant believe the rapid mode and the tweeks i gave the 850(sequential read/write 3389/5260 and random read write 307933/247949) make it so much faster than the 950,almost makes me want to return it for the 400 buks and get an 850 pro for 150...and i still dont know why in magician it says the connection is max 10 gbps when its supposed to be max 32 gbps

those benchmarks from a 850 are surprising, real surprising but i'm no expert
the speeds you've reported for the 950 (2481/1534 ) are in line with sammy's spec's

sorry, but i still find the numbers for the 850 really really suspect - something was mis-reporting in your system or the web would have been alive with reports of those kind of numbers from a 850, RAPID or not

popatim

Titan
That's what Samsung's Rapid mode is! It uses ram to cache the 850. If you want to see the 'Real' speed of the 850 then turn off rapid mode and run the benchmark again.

Rapid mode began with the 840Evo I believe and back then we saw lots of posts like this; its not mis-reporting. It's just people not understanding the technology they are using is all. Nothing a little proper information doesnt fix.

Solution
For those who may not know or did not bother to read the technical reviews, the Samsung Rapid Mode is a variation of a virtual ramdisk. In a virtual ramdisk a portion of a motherboard's system memory is used as if it were a disk drive. The high numbers shown in benchmarks are actually the results for the ramdisk's system memory rather than the ssd. System RAM is much faster than ssd memory. The down side is that system RAM is volatile which means when you shut down a pc any data left in system memory is lost. As a result applications and data have to be loaded into the memory and when finished have to be saved to an actual storage drive.

Samsung's Rapid Mode is a dummied down version of a ramdisk. Currently the total system memory that can be used as a ramdisk is limited to 25% of total ram, not to exceed 4GB. In addition, Samsung's Rapid Mode will not load certain large files into the ramdisk. Large image, video, and document files will not be loaded.

As for the performance numbers, the Rapid Mode results can be deceiving to the uninitiated. A few of the Samsung ssd technical reviews have taken a closer look at Samsung's Rapid Mode. In addition there are a couple of technical reviews of Rapid Mode. Despite the high benchmark numbers, actual tests indicate the performance boost can be anywhere between 0% and 20%. It just depends on the type of data files being used; whether or not the data files will actually be loaded into the ramdisk; and whether the data files are being loaded for the first time. Rapid Mode has the ability to recognize a user's habits and routines to help boost performance.

Virtual ramdisks are nothing new. I have been using them off and on since 1985. Back in 1985 there was a new company called Seagate that had a 10MB hard disk drive with 120ms access and it cost $350.00. The drive was slow and noisy. Virtual ramdisks were one way to improve performance.

There are at least a dozen companies that offer ramdisk applications. Some are free and some cost a little bit. A while back AMD introduced their own brand of ram. At the time AMD partnered with a company that had a virtual ramdisk application. AMD offered a free copy of the ramdisk application with the purchase of AMD memory. The company also sold the application to other users for a very reasonable price.

Personally I am working on a case mod project for my next personal pc. I am going to install 64GB of DDR4 memory - 16GB for the system and 48GB for a virtual ramdisk.

after enabling rapid mode, i saw similiar results on a 2 yr old 840 EVO - 5680 MB/s read & 1592 write, so i was curious, cloned my OS to the 840 and booted from it - it's actually snappier booting, opening apps or loading software than my 950 PRO

maybe i should have looked into ramdisk apps rather than the 950 PRO