i5-4570 (stock) vs FX-6300 (overclocked)

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
To make things simple, I need an opinion about spending nearly $200 for an i5-4570 with a stock heat-sink or spending about $180 on an FX-6300 with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler for overclocking.

I know that between these two chips, stock, the i5 should outperform the FX-6300 However, I'm having trouble finding data on comparing the two if I used the money saved towards a much better cooler and overclocking the AMD chip.

Any help?

Also worth noting that his will be going in a gaming rig. I already have my GPU from a past build. It is a GTX 750 Ti if that makes a difference.

lodders

Admirable
Intel chips are almost twice as fast per core as an AMD chip. It varies depending on what you are doing.
But for most things a 4 core AMD chip is roughly the same performance as an intel i3.
As for overclocking, it is often easy to get 10% more performance out of a chip by overclocking it, but more than that is often difficult and sometimes requires expensive coolers.
Also, overclocking is a lottery. We have two old AMD Quad Core Phenom II PCs in our house, both of which I overclocked as far as possible. One got to 4Ghz (very fast for that chip), the other only got to 3.45GHz. It is purely down to luck.

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
I actually answered my own question before reading the answers here. I did more math crunching. I realized that if I didn't want to overclock the i5, I can opt for a less expensive mobo and end up actually saving money. That's what I'll probably end up doing unless I find a great deal on a i5-xxxx(k) cpu.