100% disk usage all the time.. slowing computer. please help

JakeBurch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
my computer has been dropping performance since this has been happening. ive tried disabling superfetch, windows search, and bits. it happened on my old hard drive so i bought a new one and its still going on. i have a amd r9 270x amd fx 8320 and 16 gigs of ram.

uber9000

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
JUST got over this problem. Pull your RAM for a minute, wipe off the pins, put it back in and let it start up. When it's done starting up to the desktop, see if it's still at 100%. It may also help to check your HDD for errors.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Every time I've encountered the disk usage problem... it usually turned out to be something I had recently installed. Have you installed anything new or updated any program/driver recently? One trick I sometimes use is to go to the uninstaller and sort by date and remove anything that I've installed around the time when this started up. That works about half the time.

You could also try going to Device Manager and looking for any bad/corrupted drivers.

Another possible solution would be to install Malwarebytes FREE edition (don't activate Pro) and doing a malware scan. Infections are known to cause high usage as well.

JakeBurch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

ill look at device manager shortly. right now im running hd tune to see if there is errors... thank you for your help

JakeBurch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

hd tuner says i have 24 damaged sectors

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
What brand and model hard drive are you using? You should download the manufacture's diagnostics tool to ensure your sectors have not been corrupted by physical means before proceeding further.

For Western Digital: http://download.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_29.zip

For Seagate: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

For Other Manufactures: Google is your friend!

-----------------

If it detects physical damage, I suggest backing up Immediately, then replacing the drive; you will most likely have data loss if this is the case unfortunately (unless the physical damage was on an unused portion of the drive).

Otherwise if is only soft-based damage, you can attempt to correct the sectors via windows checkdisk: (Back Up the Drive First!)

open your My Computer window, right click the damaged disk, select "Properties," select the "Tools tab, under error checking, select "Check Now."

If this is your main boot drive, you will need to restart your computer in order for the checkdisk to run.

Re-run the diagnostic software after the checkdisk completes. If there are any abnormalities, check back here and we can try some other steps.

JakeBurch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

hi! sorry for the late responce. but i checked my hard drive for errors and it says i have 24 damaged sectors. idk if thats bad or not.

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
I see... Well as I said above, you are going to want to backup your data right away. If you have an external hard drive, I would use it; if not, they are only $30 for a 1TB version these days. But getting your data off the drive is essential right now.

After you have your files safe, though, I would take a stab at using the disk repair tool in windows (see my comment above for how to use it). It will obviously not correct physical issues, but anything having to do with the drive sectors has a high probability of getting corrected.

JakeBurch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

https://gyazo.com/6bd3ca07ac0916c4b1930732fae8341e

this is my test from hd tune..

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Damaged cable... interesting development...

Do you have a spare SATA cable in your possession by chance? It will not fix the damaged sectors, but it seems your cable may be hampering your disk performance. Maybe from a short? See if you can get your hands on a secondary SATA cable and let us know if that assists.

Now that I can see which type of sector damage you have, I don't believe there is too much to worry about, persay. Drives often times are shipped with surface and mechanical defects than can sometimes cause sector errors. Drives should automatically take over the recovery process of these particular defects.

You should keep an eye on those numbers, however. If they do start to increase in a short period of time, you will most likely be looking at needing to replace the drive soon. Now, however, 24 looks like a fairly decent number for the spinup time you've had.

However, like I said above, you should utilize a secondary SATA cable soon and see if that resolves the issue; otherwise you should try another SATA port on your computer (you will most likely need to re-configure your drives in your BIOS once you do that; so try the SATA cable first).

JakeBurch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

i tried the second cable yesterday.. no improvement...