i5 4690 versus i7 4790 with GTX 970 SLI for 4K Gaming

scando

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Hi folks, I know there's a number of closely related threads already out there, but let's see what everyone thinks about my particular situation. I have Asus Z97-A mobo with i5 4690K and dual Asus Strix GTX 970 SLI. I'm hoping to start doing some 4K gaming. Right now, I'm falling a little bit short of getting a solid 60 fps with most games on high-ish settings. So, I'm wondering whether upgrading the CPU to, let's say, i7 4790 might get me any extra fps at 4K, and if so, what kind of improvement might I expect.

Solution
minor improvements if any. The i7 really doesn't add much for gamers unless the game designer went out of their way to incorporate its strengths aka hyper threading. i7s main benefits are felt by people who are doing video or graphics rendering.

You'd see better results for gameplay using the same money to upgrade to a bigger GPU.
minor improvements if any. The i7 really doesn't add much for gamers unless the game designer went out of their way to incorporate its strengths aka hyper threading. i7s main benefits are felt by people who are doing video or graphics rendering.

You'd see better results for gameplay using the same money to upgrade to a bigger GPU.

Solution

scando

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Well, I already have 800€ worth of GPU, and the upgrade to i7 would be like 400€, so... So, right now, I'm keeping the two GPUs that I have, and hoping to figure out some other way of getting a bit more 4K fps out of my rig. That's why I was wondering about the i7.

Personally I would just wait and save your money. 4K stuff is 1st gen right now which means none of it works very well not even the Fury X or Titan. Hold out for 2nd gen and get your moneys worth.