2133 MHz RAM OK with FX-8350?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I have a pair of G.Skill 2133 MHz RAM that I want to use with the FX-8350. The motherboard accepts that and faster RAM. But the specs for the FX-8350 say 1866 MHz is max. ??? Is it safe to run 2133 MHz RAM with the FX-8350?

Solution

Partially INCORRRECT.

*I know the following is long, but you may want to PRINT it for reference. It's only long because I spell it out as clearly as possible.

1) His motherboard manual clearly states it supports Intel XMP v1.2 and v1.3.

2) It ALSO supports the AMD version called "AMP".

*AFAIK not all memory modules use AMP. I would use XMP if listed. If the memory was not detected (BIOS updates sometimes add memory profiles) then XMP will not be usable...

garrett1986

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
■ you will probably have to manually enter the timings and settings in the BIOS but with a little tweaking you should get them running just fine.

and yes its perfectly safe to use those sticks with a FX-8350

Hi,
The MOTHERBOARD will automatically setup the profile for you once you select it.

AFAIK, the frequencies that only work once the CPU is overclocked are higher than 2133MHz. It does say 2450MHz+ on the main page of the board thought I didn't read the manual to see what profiles it works up to automatically (anything without "(OC)" after the frequency).

Overclocking CPU and manually adjusting memory is a bit more complicated, though keep in mind if you overclock the CPU manually that can affect the memory so make sure it's not running higher than rated.

(Motherboards vary so hard to give specific advise on where to click).

Other:
*It wasn't clear what memory you have ALREADY. For the most part more than 1600MHz probably makes little difference to most scenarios.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks. Hard to answer individually to all of you. So this is a general reply. If the CPU is OC'ed to 4.6 GHz, should I use the XMP setting for 2133 or 1866? I don't mind down-clocking the RAM, if it will save the CPU.

Overclocking is when you clock the memory HIGHER than its best profile (AMD so is it "AMP"? not sure). It's rated to work at several different profiles and they should be fine (though sometimes they aren't stable due to the memory or power supply).

If you don't get errors, BSOD etc then stick with the highest profile supported.

*Do note that overclocking the CPU might not work with setting a profile. I had an XMP profile but when I overclocked my Intel CPU manually it kicked me out of the XMP profile. So you might have to experiment.

If not said, test with MEMTEST for a full pass. www.memtest.org as well as Prime95 or whatever

Vishera has 1866 MHz memory controller, all above that is OC. AMD doesn't have XMP so it will not set memory according to it. Best to set it according to manual for RAM and MB. As RAM speed has not much of total performance impact, it's best to go for stability and lower Cl.

Partially INCORRRECT.

*I know the following is long, but you may want to PRINT it for reference. It's only long because I spell it out as clearly as possible.

1) His motherboard manual clearly states it supports Intel XMP v1.2 and v1.3.

2) It ALSO supports the AMD version called "AMP".

*AFAIK not all memory modules use AMP. I would use XMP if listed. If the memory was not detected (BIOS updates sometimes add memory profiles) then XMP will not be usable and probably greyed out.

If XMP is usable then it should have at least one profile available which is usually the maximum rating of the memory plus the applicable timing states.

(Manually setting the timings and frequency can be problematic which is why I like to try XMP first as it automatically assigns them for you based on the profile. You can see more information on the profile values in CPU-ID's software in the "SPD" section).

**Finally, as I said before I'm not sure if XMP even remains working once you start overclocking.

Example of setup:
1. Set CPU to default values in BIOS
2. select XMP, then SAVE the BIOS state
3. reboot and run MEMTEST
(for a FULL PASS which is roughly 30 minutes for 8GB.. may need to change BIOS boot order to boot to DVD or USB stick... or manually select the boot device in the BIOS)

4. Run Prime95
(can increase memory allocated from 2048MB to most of whatever remains which can be seen in the Task Manager). Hard to explain here... run until each core/thread passes then quit. Failure shows as a rounding error which may mean bad memory stick, incorrect setup or voltage issue.

My MEMTEST passed, but Prime95 failed one thread. I was getting BSOD crashing (i.e. Memory_Management and similar error). Pretty sure it's a POWER SUPPLY issue and low load is stable but Windows load is not.

5. Overclock CPU (look at memory settings... if set low such as 1333MHz leave that alone for now)
6. Run MEMTEST and Prime95 again (or other software if it works for you)
7. BIOS-> manually change memory settings (unless there's a simpler method beside XMP that works with overclocking the CPU... I don't have an AMD setup so not exactly sure of how CPU overclocking affects memory setup)
8. retest both MEMTEST and Prime95

*In CPUID's CPU-A software you can look and see what the various memory profiles are to write down the values. Listed for each frequency value which includes:
- frequency, voltage, CAS, RAS etc. (must use all the settings listed for each frequency)

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.74-en.exe

**For example, find the highest frequency profile under the "SPD" section and write down the values. Then go into the BIOS and enter them. There are likely other values you are unsure so leave as default (AUTO?). In some cases the memory is unstable and a small voltage increase helps.

If memory is unstable (MEMTEST and Prime95) I'd first try a lower profile like 1866MHz or 1600MHz and stay there for a while before considering tweaking slightly higher. A said before, more than 1866MHz CAS9 is unlikely to benefit you in real-world usage (1600MHz is probably about the same for most tasks too with that CPU).

Other:
- temperature
- fan profile setup
(temperature and fan should also be optimized for but I won't discuss that here. If confused ask or start a new thread)

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Photonboy is correct about the board running memory @ 2133 MHz, I think. I set the BIOS to one of the two XMP profiles offered (they were both 2133 for some reason), and the memory is happily running at 2133 MHz... even with a CPU OC to 4.6 GHz. But I get a rare but occasional BSOD. So I guess I have to figure out if it is a RAM OC problem or a CPU OC problem. I'll try setting the memory back to 1866 MHz.

There probably isn't much real-world benefit to running the RAM at 2133 MHz over 1866 MHz, is there?