FX-8350 or Intel rig for DAW // music production and some gaming?

Oloria

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
The title is mostly self-explanatory.
I'm trying to build my first serious DAW that would also serve as a gaming platform from time to time.

My workflow consists of using mostly virtual instruments, so there's a lot of large Kontakt or Best Service Engine sample libraries involved (Spitfire, Cinesamples, Orchestral Tools, Vienna etc.), synths (Omnisphere, U-he etc.), but I also do a lot of recording via the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB 2.0 interface, Avid Eleven Rack and guitar sims like Amplitube, Guitar Rig or TH2.
I mostly work within Cubase, Pro Tools and Reason, however I do try out other DAWs occasionally.

As far as the gaming part is concerned, I mostly want to be able to play The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen (when and IF it ever gets released! - might already need an upgrade by that time ^^) and Eve Online.

So far I've managed to come up with something like this (providing prices in my country):
- CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core - 202,85 USD
- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB - 261,25 USD
- RAM: HyperX Savage 2x4GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 - 51,54 USD
- Mobo: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ - 126,69 USD
- HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - 57,89 USD
- PSU: Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX - 78,45 USD
- Case: either a Zalman Z1 or a SilentiumPC Gladius M20 Pure Black. - 31,73 USD

I'm seriously considering overclocking both the GPU and CPU - coolers: Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE or maybe a Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO would be enough? I need the PC to be as silent as possible during recordings.

RAM is going to be expanded to 16/32 gigs in the future.

Maybe I could get a smaller sized SSD for my OS and other software instead of the HDD and expand the capacity with internal HDDs at a later point.

Ideally, I'd wish to squeeze all that into a Fractal Design Define R4/5 or a SilentiumPC PAX M70, but both my budget and patience are limited at this point - I've been postponing this for waaaay more than enough.

I'm leaning towards the AMD because I've read that DAWs are well optimized for 4+ core CPUs, but maybe there's an Intel-based solution (maybe mixed with an AMD GPU?) that would work as well or even better for the same $?

Thanks for reading all this and I'm looking forward to your advice!

The general consensus on the Avid Pro Audio Community Forum is that the Intel i7 is the preferred CPU for current versions of Pro Tools (Version 10 and higher). Here is a link to that forum: http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93&order=desc

That being said, I am successfully running an AMD Phenom II 1045t 6 core with Pro Tools LE 7.4. I have also used an AMD FX 6300 with this Pro Tools system. I can't speak to the other DAWs you referenced, as I have been exclusively using Pro Tools since 2006. As you probably know as you have used Pro Tools, Avid recommends a bunch of optimizations for your setup, specific to each version of Windows and Pro Tools. If you plan on using the same rig for gaming also, the optimizations may negatively affect the gaming aspect. My Pro Tools rig is strictly for Pro Tools, no games, no internet connection, most startup items disabled, etc.

You may want to post you question on the Avid forum also, there are many experts there (more so than I am). Some folks have been successful on getting FX processors to work with current PT versions.

Edit: I just noticed that you only have one Hard drive listed. You really need 2 for successful operation of PT. One for the operating system and programs, and a second one for the audio drive. Since you use lots of virtual instruments, I would recommend a third drive for your sample libraries. WD Black are highly recommended. For the C: drive, Samsung 850 Pro SSD's are what many recommend.

Oloria

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Thanks for the input! I've read a bit about the Xeons and the 1231v3 does seem like an exciting option, as I could buy a much cheaper motherboard compared to an AMD setup.

However, it also seems that the 1231v3 can reach up to 3.8GHz on all cores only using certain motherboards/BIOS revisions. If I were to pull the trigger on the 1231v3, what motherboard chipset should I choose? B85, H87/97?

System after update:
- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz - 289,17 USD
- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB - 261,25 USD
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 - 45,45 USD
- Mobo: ?
- HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - 57,89 USD
- PSU: Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX - 78,45 USD
- Case: either a Zalman Z1 or a SilentiumPC Gladius M20 Pure Black. - 31,73 USD