i5 3330 wont turbo

mitchelljsmith

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
so i found a thread similar on a diff forum but no solution, i have an i5 3330 and no mater what i do it wont turbo, i have enabled it in bios and it says "targeted cpu turbo frequency 3200mhz" but when i go into windows its still 3ghz and wont budge. can someone help me? when running prime95 it moves around from 3ghz down to 2.6ghz and all over place.

mobo is a asus p8h61-mx usb3

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It will depend on how many cores (threads) are in use. And if they are above a certain threshold of demand. Turbo is only in affect when less than 4 cores are being used.
Frequency: 3000 MHz
Turbo frequency: 3200 MHz (1 or 2 cores), 3100 MHz (3 cores)

And of course, at idle or low demand turbo mode is not in effect.

mitchelljsmith

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

even when running prime 95 on just 1 core, still isnt turboing, its all enabled. ive done evrything to try to get better performance, tried xmp, oc tuner, the lot
p63S8F4.png

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
@ tea urchin
I tried explaining that to the OP before. I sent a link (above) to show him what Turbo actually meant for that processor...

Frequency:3000 MHz (4 cores)
Turbo frequency (3 cores): 3100 MHz
Turbo frequency (1 or 2 cores): 3200 MHz

@ OP
If you disable the other cores, it may in fact disable turbo mode. Turbo mode may require the presence of the other cores to operate. But if you are sure there is something wrong, it more than likely is the board (BIOS). Is there a newer BIOS available for your board?

mitchelljsmith

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

its on latest update i believe, ill check again, but even with one core at 100% and rest at like 10% it doesnt turbo

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

How are the temps at that time? Turbo Boost also has to remain below the thermal design power (TDP). If cores are at their max TDP, thermal boost won't enable. There are other factors involved too. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

mitchelljsmith

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

47c