X79-Deluxe + HyperX Savage?

bh86

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Hi.

Does anybody have experience with ASUS X79-Deluxe and Kingston HyperX Savage? I tend to think it's compatible but Asus gives mixed signals on it's pages.

Listed as compatible (chipset supported)
http://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/memory/quad_channel

Listed as compatible (hyperx quad channel for ivy bridge-e)
http://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/certifications/

Not listed as compatible (x79 is not listed)
http://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/memory/savage

Not listed as compatible (fury is)
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=ASU&Line=X79%20Motherboard&Model=85743&Description=Kingston_ValueRam_Memory_HyperX_Memory_for_ASUS/ASmobile_X79_Motherboard_DELUXE

Spec sheet for the DDR3-1866 CL9 240-Pin DIMM Kit I want to buy
http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX318C9SRK4_32.pdf

The X79-Deluxe has the latest BIOS 0902 from Sept. 2014.

The CPU I will install is the Intel Core i7-4930K.

By searching Google, I have not been able to find one single build with the board and memory together.

I hope some of you have the answer - Thanks!

Solution
Yup, though personally I'd use GSkill TridentX, always had good results with these and ASUS X79 setups, just built a friend an ASUS X79 Deluxe with 4x4GB/2400 with a 3930K @ 4.7.

That is not good advice. While it is not as common due to JDEC specs there are things you always need to consider when buying RAM such as the max speed the IMC can take, and voltage. What is the max speed the board can handle as well as voltage.

While most RAM will work there are times when newer RAM module designs (i.e. higher density modules) will be incompatible with older boards/chipsets/CPUs.

OP, the QVL list is not a end all be all. It is more a list of what Asus has tested and what they have found works in what configuration. As I said most RAM will work and what you have listed looks fine for that setup.

bh86

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Thank you for telling your experiences.

It's planned for a home server with a lot of VMs (Proxmox+Windows Server+Linux+FreeNAS/Samba etc) and I might buy another memory kit to max it up to 64GB.

The Hexa-core CPU will be very hot (and power hungry) so now the search goes to find the best quiet cooler. No overclocking is planned.

Again, thank you. I will pick a solution within an hour.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
If you're not planning any oc'ing then any decent air cooler with quiet fans will do fine (NH-D14/15, Phanteks, all the way down to a used TRUE with just about any fan at all that's sensible), though I use water AIOs such as the Corsair H80 with (for the moment) NDS PWMs in order to have both good oc'ing levels (4.7/4.8 is typical for SB-E) with low noise. Currently working on four such builds.

If you want to max it out to 64GB, I can definitely recommend the 2400MHz TridentX kits, they work very well for that, I've built several such systems using a couple of the F3-2400C10Q-32GTX kits, mostly using ASUS P9X79 WS boards.

If you do ever decide to oc the CPU though, have a look at the ASUS ROG site which has a number of specific tips on additional measures one must take when oc'ing systems with a lot of RAM. Even without a CPU oc, sometimes one may have to do a few specific changes to ensure stability with 64GB (alas, maxed out RAM is not a config that board makers tend to cater for, hence why the WS works so well since it's specifically expected people will be doing that sort of thing).

Ian.

PS. See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231590

bh86

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Some great advices here, thank you for that. I have the Phanteks PH-TC14PE in my Haswell build and it's great. The reason I chose the Savage is because of it's low profile (so I can fit in a good air cooler) and because of it's exeptionally low latency. I will consider the TridentX but I don't think a Phanteks/Noctura will fit then.

A funny little side story: I have a little local computer repair shop with my friend and a customer came in an said something like "it doesn't work, I want something that works" and he talked about the X79-Deluxe and the 4930K. We found something new to him and he didn't want the parts back. I could not find anything wrong with it but I re-seated the CPU and updated the BIOS (about 5 versions newer). But the BIOS update failed and the board got totally bricked. After seeking help on the ROG forum I ordered a new BIOS chip and installed it with success. Afterwards I installed Windows 10 (with 2 GB ram and 5400rpm HDD) just to see if it blue-screened or something and nope, nothing seems to be wrong with it.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
bh86 writes:
> ... I have the Phanteks PH-TC14PE in my Haswell build and it's great. ...

Yep, that's the one I used. 8) Actually have several doing nothing now, since I switched to AIOs.

> The reason I chose the Savage is because of it's low profile (so I can fit in a good air cooler)
> and because of it's exeptionally low latency. I will consider the TridentX but I don't think a
> Phanteks/Noctura will fit then.

One can remove the top fins for low profile usage (they're really not needed anyway), I've used them with that Phanteks model just fine, though these days honestly I'd just use an H80 instead. Makes accessing the RAM slots so much easier, maintenance, etc. I don't think I could go back to having to fiddle about with cable connections with a big HS in place, especially if one decides to change something around.

Here's a pic of the mbd and RAM kits I used for a build I did 2 years ago; fins removed, fitted to the board (CPU in place, paste on, Phanteks ready to install), Phanteks fitted, and fans fitted.

Later though, I moved the parts into a larger case and switched to an H110, which made cooling the CPU easier since it was no longer being affected by the heat coming off the four 900MHz 3GB GTX 580s.

> We found something new to him and he didn't want the parts back. I could not find anything
> wrong with it ...

Blimey! :D

> ... But the BIOS update failed and the board got totally bricked. ...

I'm surprised the secondary BIOS couldn't be used instead.

> nothing seems to be wrong with it.

Yay!! Hehe, way to go. :D

I was also lucky, won a Deluxe on eBay for 75 UKP, all bits included, barely used. It was a local seller, so I caught a bus. Originally fitted it with a 3970X, but now it has a 3930K (the 3970X moved to a P9X79-E WS I won last week).

ASUS X79 boards work really well. The only thing that lets them down (though this applies to all X79 boards) is the terrible Marvell controller used for the extra SATA3 ports. Beats me why Intel doesn't make a simple PCIe card that uses its own SATA3 controller to provide a bunch of SATA3 ports just as one finds natively on relevant mbds, they'd sell like hotcakes (though I suppose that would reduce the desire of some to fully upgrade).

Here's another build I did about a year ago: ASUS P9X79 WS, 3930K @ 4.8, 64GB @ 2400, Quadro 4000 (custom cooler), GTX 580 (CUDA), Corsair H100i and 4x NDS PWM. Side view and front view (HAF 932 case).

Ian.

bh86

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I do understand the joy of getting the large cooler out of the way, but low noise levels means more to me.
According to the specs the Corsair ones is double as noisy and double the price compared to Phanteks.

The Deluxe does not have a secondary BIOS. They say something like "ASUS Crashfree BIOS" on the board. The CPU got immediately red after power-on, the status code display would always show 00 and the flashback button always turned solid blue after a few minutes of trying to update via USB BIOS Flashback.

Why is the Marvell controller so bad? I have heard that as well. I don't plan to use it. I am fine with two Intel 6Gb/s for SSDs and four 3Gb/s for HDDs.

It is late here in Denmark so I will leave for now. Thanks for all your inputs (so far)!

mapesdhs

Distinguished
bh86 writes:
> I do understand the joy of getting the large cooler out of the way, but low noise levels
> means more to me.

That's the other main reason I switched (but I don't use the stock fans).

> According to the specs the Corsair ones is double as noisy and double the price
> compared to Phanteks.

a) You're right, the noise of the stock Corsair fans suck dead bunnies through a bent straw (under full load). That's why I don't use the stock fans. I replace all the Corsair fans with Nanoxia Deep Silence PWM, which work much better, are very quiet and don't cost much (I've compared them to Noctua NF-P12, etc., they're as effective for cooling but just as quiet or even better). Here's an example packet closeup.

b) I bought almost all my Corsair AIOs refurb, so they cost less than an air cooler. :D Typically half the price of a new AIO. Even the H110 I bought for my latest build was only 50 (Scan UK sold 165 of them! I bought two).

The replacement fans do add to the cost a little of course, but still well worthwhile. The idea being that with better fans, I can get the cooling I want while still having low noise. The only thing one has to remember is to ensure adequate mbd chipset cooling by some other means.

I gather from reading elsewhere that it's quite common for stock fans on AIOs to be kinda loud under load. One can of course limit their speed, but that would defeat the point of the quoted cooling potential. Btw, in some cases the cooling power of an AIO is overkill, eg. even a simple TRUE cooler with one fan is more than enough to cool a 5GHz 2700K, but an AIO with 2x NDS means it can run really quiet even when under load.

Here's my secondary gaming PC, a 3930K/4.8 with a similar setup (H80 with 2x NDS PWM, GTX 980, 850 Pro 256GB, ASUS R4E, and the Antec 302 case has all NDS fans aswell).

I expect others might be nervous about buying refurb AIOs, but so far I've bought loads of them and had no issues at all (they come with an interesting warranty, Corsair will cover any damage to the whole system if there's a leak). Scan was doing the H80s cheap so I bought a whole stack.

> The Deluxe does not have a secondary BIOS. ...

Oh!! Now that I didn't know. Bad me for assuming! Gotten so used to the feature being on their other boards.

> They say something like "ASUS Crashfree BIOS" on the board. ...

Oh well, glad to know though that a replacement BIOS chip fixed it.

> Why is the Marvell controller so bad? I have heard that as well. ...

I think probably it's the drivers rather than what the hw is capable of (rather stark contrast to their controllers used inside SSDs), though in some cases it's probably partly due to the limited PCIe lanes going to the chip (a major issue with the addon PCIe cards included with boards such as the Asrock P55 Deluxe). Certainly it's one of the few drivers I've installed on any PC build that has a significant chance of messing up the system. Indeed, I don't install the complete Marvell driver bundle at all; instead, I unpack it and just use Device Manager to point the controller to only the required driver file.

However, they do work ok with mechanical drives for RAID1, though I don't know if I'd trust them with SSDs in RAID1. But yes the performance is pretty woeful sometimes; I did some tests here (tried different drivers too):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/sata_vector_tests.txt
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/ssd_tests.txt

Performance was often better with an Intel SATA2 port.

> I don't plan to use it. I am fine with two Intel 6Gb/s for SSDs and four 3Gb/s for HDDs.

Cunning plan. 8)

> It is late here in Denmark so I will leave for now. Thanks for all your inputs (so far)!

Most welcome!!

Ian.