1600 MHz + 1333MHz ?

PeterAS17

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2014
Hello everyone,

I currently have two sticks of 4GB each of RAM, clocked at 1600MHz.
A friend just recycled his computer, and so he gave me his RAM sticks.
They're two sticks of 4GB each as well, but clocked at 1333MHz.
If I put both on my computer, they're most surely underclock, but will I see a big difference beeing at 1333MHz or 1600MHz?
I use my computer mostly for heavy gaming and heavy developping (including 3d moddeling, which requires a lot of memory)

CPU and GPU:
i7-4770 3.4GHz (Auto OC to 3.9GHz)
GTX 760 2GB

Thanks,
PeterAS17

Solution
it will be slower. but not hugely slower.
i wouldve thought for 3d modeling you would want a 2133+Mhz set of RAM for the higher bandwidth.

but more RAM thats slower would definatly be faster than less RAM at a faster speed

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
it will be slower. but not hugely slower.
i wouldve thought for 3d modeling you would want a 2133+Mhz set of RAM for the higher bandwidth.

but more RAM thats slower would definatly be faster than less RAM at a faster speed

Solution
You can try mixing them, but even if they DO actually work together the RAM will be running at a slower speed. There's only about a 50/50 chance of mixed RAM working together.

For reliability it's always best to buy RAM in the same pack, so if you actually NEED more RAM saving up for a good 16GB pack would be the best solution.

PeterAS17

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2014
@Baumy15 yeah, I thought about that too, but my budget is very limited and low, and I can't atleast for now, buy RAM sticks with thoae frequencies. And best solution.

@glamdringfh is it really 50/50? I mean, it worked for me, I might be in an half, but what are the criteria? But yeah, as I said before, my budget's limited, so yeah. And I was already expecting some loss, just didn't know how much