When will the i5 4460 and i7 4790k will bottle neck high end gpu

DES507

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
So im currently running an i5 4460 and I was hoping to upgrade to an i7 4790k, but I read in some forums that they will become bottle neck for high end gpu's, in 1 to 2 years.

I want to buy a new cpu or none if its inecesary to upgrade. I do buy high end Gpu's because Im mainly a gamer (possibly doing light editing). So I checked and double checked and the answer I have found is to go skylake but to drop 700$ I prefer buying a newer Gpu...

My point is that will either the 4460 or 4790k will last for around 2-3 years from now, or do I have to drop big bucks to move of platform so my GPU doesnt bottleneck??

Solution
Get out your crystal ball, any answer will be a guess. As it stands for gaming there is no real gain to be had upgrading your i5 at all, whatever CPU you aim for. Very few games run any better on an i7 and your 4460 is good enough even for those.

Bottlenecking is not a problem unless it drops you below playable framerates. Who cares if you "only" get 100fps instead of 150 ? anything over 60 fps is totally smooth gameplay.

My opinion - don't upgrade. Wait until your current rig actually fails to play something satisfactorily and upgrade then. Save up whatever money you would have spent, create a PC upgrsde fund, and see what's available when it comes time. The gaming PC hardware is constantly changing and something better always seems...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure how, unless you literally mean GPUs and not a single flagship card.

CPU generally isn't the limit to graphics performance but rather the game engine maxes out the CPU thus leaving GPU performance un-used. Then the GPUs can be said to be bottlenecked, but only indirectly. That is highly variable on the game in question.

In terms of bandwidth a single 16x PCIe 3.0 slot is quite adequate. Running today's flagship cards at 8x 3.0 produces no noticeable issues. So GPU bandwidth requirements would have to at least double for today's consumer class CPUs to truly become a problem. Skylake systems are still PCIe 3.0, and have only gained 4x total lanes over Haswell, so little has changed there. CPU performance is only up about 7-10% and overclocking seems to be in favor of Devil's Canyon.

It really comes down to how your system is performing right now and what the CPU/GPU loads look like when you experience something less than satisfactory. If your CPU is pegging, then a CPU upgrade will help you now. If your GPU(s) are pegging then a replacement there will be advisable.

There will always be some bottlenecking in the system.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I don't see how anyone knows what it's going to be like 2-3 years from now, you're better off just waiting and upgrading when you need to. As for the benefit of a 4790k over a 4460, it's not going to make a big difference in anything that's out right now and it's not too likely to make a big difference in the future either.

To sum it up, your current CPU is good for now and likely fine for later. Since you already have it there is little point on upgrading based on the idea that you might need more later. There is always a faster CPU coming up.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Get out your crystal ball, any answer will be a guess. As it stands for gaming there is no real gain to be had upgrading your i5 at all, whatever CPU you aim for. Very few games run any better on an i7 and your 4460 is good enough even for those.

Bottlenecking is not a problem unless it drops you below playable framerates. Who cares if you "only" get 100fps instead of 150 ? anything over 60 fps is totally smooth gameplay.

My opinion - don't upgrade. Wait until your current rig actually fails to play something satisfactorily and upgrade then. Save up whatever money you would have spent, create a PC upgrsde fund, and see what's available when it comes time. The gaming PC hardware is constantly changing and something better always seems to be just around the corner.

Solution

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
To add to what the others have said, keep in mind that most games will be targeted at the largest pool of gaming equipment out there. So, what is good now, will remain so for quite some time, they aren't going to start making games that only the top 10% of their market can play.

While not the very top of the heap both of those CPUs you mention are near enough to it that they won't be outdated for at least 3 to 5 years forward.

DES507

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

I have 0 issues until now, but with current games needing (Fallout 4, Battle front, ect..) A skylake as recomended or a high end Haswell, Im not sure which way to go. Im juts planning to have my Rig running without unpleasant bottlenecks that will cap my performance for the next 3 years, So I want to know that if in 3 years my 4460 is going to be close a handicap in my system or even an I7 4790k for that matter.

For example, say two years from now I buy the newest GTX ?80, will my CPU be the limiting factor in its performance?