Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Okay.... so I got a nice PC setup.
Pentium G3220 @3Ghz
Gigabyte H81M-DS2 Mobo
Thermaltake 630W PSU
2x2GB Kingston RAM
BFG 9800GTX+ OC edition....
All of a sudden I got some money from Dad and bought a Sapphir R9 270X Dual-X OC Edition. Before you know it, my old card was in the garbage. (Literally).
Now I am suffering from CPU to GPU bottleneck and I can see that. :(
MSi Afterburner shows that my GPU stays around 50-60% USAGE while my CPU is at 90+% Usage. So Yes, I am stupid. I use a 220$ card with a 60$ CPU. However I can upgrade. I have money for a i3-4170 @3.7GHz. Will the R9270X bottleneck that too? or should I wait to buy a i5 in Haswell? Please answer!! Serious replies only. Thank you!!

Solution
It actually depends on the game you are playing. G3220 is not really that bad when it comes to gaming if the games use 1-2 cores, but an i3 would be better.

If you play BF3, BF4, Witcher, Dark Souls, Dragon Age and pretty much anything else that uses 2+ cores then an upgrade will REALLY boost your performance.

An i3 would be a good upgrade if you don't want to fork out more for the i5. Thanks to i3's HT, it can keep up with GPUs even more powerful than the 270X with little problem. If you can wait a little, an i5 would be a GREAT choice. However, that board is not really made for high quality, powerful parts so getting an i5-4460/4590 would be your best bet as those are locked processors and are not too high on the clock.

If the...
It actually depends on the game you are playing. G3220 is not really that bad when it comes to gaming if the games use 1-2 cores, but an i3 would be better.

If you play BF3, BF4, Witcher, Dark Souls, Dragon Age and pretty much anything else that uses 2+ cores then an upgrade will REALLY boost your performance.

An i3 would be a good upgrade if you don't want to fork out more for the i5. Thanks to i3's HT, it can keep up with GPUs even more powerful than the 270X with little problem. If you can wait a little, an i5 would be a GREAT choice. However, that board is not really made for high quality, powerful parts so getting an i5-4460/4590 would be your best bet as those are locked processors and are not too high on the clock.

If the "wait" is less than 1 month, then wait for an i5 if you really wanna play games for real. If the "wait" is longer, the i3 is still a VERY capable CPU and will provide you enough power to keep up with the 270X.

Good luck :)

Solution