FX 6300 turbo boost not turning in cinebench

The_Koxy

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Hello there, so basically even while doing some small system tasks with 1% usage, turbo boost turns on where one or few cores run at 4120mhz, never all at time. However when I decide to stress it and use cinebench or OCCT, it just never goes above 3817mhz, it even locks it to 3517 sometimes. Even tho it's running at 100% at that time, it doesn't turn on turbo boost. So why is it happening? and I am afraid that it doesn't even turn it on in games, which would probably mean quite a bit. P.S it is not thermal throttling as temp is around 40c, Any ideas?

Cheers

Solution
It is working exactly as it is supposed to.
When only a few cores are used they will jump to a higher speed.
When all cores are loaded it will run at its lowest speed.
That is how it was designed.
Both Intel and AMD CPUs perform this way.

The_Koxy

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Okay so that answers my question, thanks! So now I am curious, how does that make sense? Why would they boost the clocks when you are barely doing anything? Unless it's like a thing where it boosts just 1/few cores just to increase single core applications performance, did I get it right?

As you know the feature is designed to save power consumption.

Depending on a program and if it is coded to use a set amount of cpu cores available it will utilize them.
The load is balanced or shared between the cores used.
Because your putting more cores to perform a task, meaning it in theory would process data quicker.
And faster than a single cpu core working on the task you would not need the core speed to boost to improve the performance would you. as two or three more times of data is being processed at the same time by each core utilized.

When you increase the core frequency voltage consumption increases.
How and when this happens is based on each program and how it is coded to work.

For example some programs still use single core cpu programming or dual core.
And do not utilize a cpu with four six or eight cpu cores.

It`s all depended on the software used.

In an example where a program was locked to use a single core, or a dual core you may get a situation where the clock speed increases, in most cases it should only trigger when the amount of cores reach a percentage of work load or saturation.
or a set limit on the percentage of load a single or a set of cpu cores reach before the turbo or auto overclocking is applied.

It`s not a requisite to have it turned on or enabled.
If you prefer all of your cores to run at full speed, in your bios turn off the cool and quiet feature.
Set your power plan in windows under the advanced options to high performance.

All of your cpu cores will run at the same speed at the boost clock speed.

The_Koxy

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Well I understand that downclocking feature being there to optimize power consumption, where cpu clocks itself at 1.4 on idle, thought turbo boost is there for something else.

Well I would in case where all the cores are used 100%, so increasing clocks would further boost performance, if I am not mistaken.
Basically, the explanation of turbo boost is getting clocks up automatically if needed, from what AMD stated, but it only works on few cores, and never all at the same time. I think I understand it how it works now, I was just thinking of it in better way.

Thank you both

The_Koxy

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
About all cores running at boost clock, it doesn't work, I think. It clocks itself at 3517 or 3817. While everything is set to default boost clock is reaching 4146