970 Chipset too hot to touch, Computer turning off

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
My computer shuts itself off after 10-30 minutes after I boot it, CPU temps seem all good, The only thing really hot thats making the inside real hot is the 970 chipset heatsink, Well thats what I think it is anyway. I have been told having faulty ram can also shut your computer down in the same fashion. What do you think could be going on.

Mobo - Asus M5A97 R2
CPU - FX 8320
CPU cooler - Corsair H60
RAM - 8gb corsair vengeance

Sorry if this isnt enough info or doesnt make too much sense, Im not too good with computers

Solution
I have the exact motherboard as you and have had these issues with the chipset running extremely hot before. I recommend investing in a cheap fan of any sort and positioning it so that is blows air directly over the heatsink. This worked very well for me. The heatsink is no longer fingure burning hot.

I have my fan hanging directly infront of the heatsink using fishing line tied through the mounting holes in the fan chassis up to the top of the case mesh. it hangs and blows air directly onto the heatsink carrying heat away. Quite effective. :)

Hope this fixes your issue.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
What chipset ? northbridge or southbridge or the VRM ?

northbridge are the heatsink down the CPU
southbridge are the heatsink next to the PCI-e area
VRM are left to the CPU socket

Chances are (if you didn't overclock) that it's a bad thermal paste connection between the chip and the heatsink

Try to put a fan above the heat , if this doesn't help then it must be thermal paste

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

I'm thinking it may be the CPU, Before where I said CPU temps are all good they are starting to look not so good, 55 on idle sitting in BIOS, Also I have read that the Southbridge which I think is the one above the 970 chipset can get to 60-70 degrees and still be ok.

jb1232

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
I have the exact motherboard as you and have had these issues with the chipset running extremely hot before. I recommend investing in a cheap fan of any sort and positioning it so that is blows air directly over the heatsink. This worked very well for me. The heatsink is no longer fingure burning hot.

I have my fan hanging directly infront of the heatsink using fishing line tied through the mounting holes in the fan chassis up to the top of the case mesh. it hangs and blows air directly onto the heatsink carrying heat away. Quite effective. :)

Hope this fixes your issue.

Solution