Best Sub-$100 Black Friday/Cyber Monday Intel motherboard for Overclocking?

ajthemacboy

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Hi, I've been wanting to upgrade my motherboard for a while so I can OC more, and I want to take advantage of Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals.

My budget is sub-$100 only, and I don't want to rely on Mail-in rebates to lower the price.

Thus, I probably want a Z97 or Z87 to overclock, with a minimum of 6 power phases (8 is preferable.)

My current motherboard has many spots that get very hot (especially the power chokes) that have no heatsinks, so if possible, I'd like heatsinks anywhere things get hot.

Any ideas?

Solution
What is it that you want to overclock? I got to 4.8Ghz with my good i5 4690K on an ASRock Z97 OC Formula which has only four doubled power phases, and the same on my ASRock Z97-E mITX which has six phases.

The Gigabyte Z97X - Gaming 5 is the clear overclocking leader in its price-range.

ajthemacboy

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I've been wondering about Newegg reviews lately... On PCPartPicker EVERYTHING almost always has better reviews/stars than on Newegg. Are Newegg reviewers just cynical, or are PCPartPicker reviewers usually more newbish at hardware?

That said, the Gigabyte has better reviews on Newegg but worse reviews on PCPartPicker, and vice versa for the ASRock. Which would you choose?

ajthemacboy

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
What do you mean "True power phase?" The board timeconsumer linked has 12 chokes visible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157503&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

and is cheaper.

Yes but that Z97X gaming 5 is a better board. If you can afford to go over budget I'd take that over the two I linked.

What is it that you want to overclock? I got to 4.8Ghz with my good i5 4690K on an ASRock Z97 OC Formula which has only four doubled power phases, and the same on my ASRock Z97-E mITX which has six phases.

The Gigabyte Z97X - Gaming 5 is the clear overclocking leader in its price-range.

Solution