I7-4790 CPU to Mobo Compatibility questions

DMMag

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Hi there. I have gotten suggestions on system builds in the past week here, but when checking for actual compatibility on the relevant Mobo and CPU manufacturer's sites, I'm not seeing them sync up. o_O So questions regarding compatibility, and then long term viability.

Newegg Combo deal special

Has the I7-4790 and the EVGA Z97 Classified board combo. However, I looked at the Intel I7-4790 chipset compatibility list and this board is not on it.

I was also looking at the Asus Z170-A LGA 1151 board. I rather like this one, but I'm rather ignorant on Intel stuff, coming from AMD as my only previous experience. Neither of these are listed as compatible, despite sharing the same 1151 socket the I7-4790 have. This seems like a board which has good long term viability, and someone this morning assured me of this. However, it's not listed as compatible on either the board to CPU, or CPU to board lists.

Now, this is just frustrating for me looking through options. Will these be compatible, and if not, lol, why is newegg bundling them/suggesting them paired together?

If so, which would be better long term for me to have in the event I need upgrades a few years from now?

If not, suggestions on a board paired with this CPU? Or a similarly priced CPU to go with the board? o_O Finding stuff that all works together is getting to be a pain.

DMMag

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Cool, thanks. Now, is the EVGA board one I can count on for upgrading in the future? I notice it's DDR3, so incompatible with the newer DDR4 RAM. Wondering if it's one of those "On sale because it'll be irrelevant in 6 months so buy now!" items, or if it's something that in the event I want to go with a 6 or 8 core CPU in 2 years, I'll be able to?

DMMag

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Yeah, was concerned about the CPU upgrade down the road as well. That combo sold out though. >.< Would have saved me $300.

I am guessing if I want a long term solution, I'll need to shell out the cash for a Skylake, X99 board with a LGA 2011-v3 socket? As at least this way, I can upgrade to CPU's with higher function/more cores?

The 1150/1151 socket CPU's being limited to 4 cores is what I am seeing? Is this a correct assumption? If I want to in 2 years upgrade to an 8 core Intel CPU I'll need an LGA 2011-v3 socket and not a 1150/1 socket?