980 Ti Fan Speed Question

THGamer

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Hello,

Hoping someone who is knowledgeable with GPU fan speeds could answer a question for me.

I am currently using an EVGA 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ with a custom fan curve via Afterburner:

AE3UnCD.png

I understand that the GPU fan will constantly have minor RPM fluctuations while running (~10-15 RPM):

6bG712A.png

Is it normal for the GPU fan to have ~150-200 RPM dips once the fan reaches a steady point in the curve?

3IvigLw.png

I ask because at higher loads the ~150-200 RPM dips are noticeable (sound), and it made me wonder if it was working as intended (the dips occur on lower fan speeds as well / when idle).

I am not sure how significant of a change ~150-200 RPM is, but I was under the impression that because I set a hysteresis value of 5c, if the GPU temp steadied and topped out at (for example) 55c, the GPU fan would only lower in speed once the temp dropped down to 49c, and would stay at the current fan speed if between 50c-55c, or increase at 56c.

However, at times when my GPU temps are at a constant, or even within the latest max temp / hysteresis value, the fan speed still lowers for a second before resuming the previous speed as shown in the fan graph above.

Are the ~150-200 RPM dips normal behavior? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

** Edit - ~10-15 RPM for minor fluctuations in fan speed.

Solution
Yes, fluctuations are expected, this prevents your PSU from providing more energy torwards the fans keeping them at a constant rate. Fluctuations help cycle the air as well. I get around 80-120RPM dips on my fans, but I also have a watercooling block above them.

Mind Games

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Yes, fluctuations are expected, this prevents your PSU from providing more energy torwards the fans keeping them at a constant rate. Fluctuations help cycle the air as well. I get around 80-120RPM dips on my fans, but I also have a watercooling block above them.

Solution