r9 290 PC will no longer POST after 2 weeks of use

schshkim

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hello,
I recently built my 1st PC and got it to run and everything was smooth until yesterday when my PC would no longer POST.
I pinpointed it down to what it seems like the video card.
I was running the sapphire r9 290.
PC WILL POST without the video card.
As soon as I plug the video card in the computer will turn on and all fans will spin but keyboard light will not turn on and monitor detects no signal (mouse light on).
Things I was currently able to check:
1) no issue with the PCI-E slot or cables as another card works fine (gtx 550)
2) no issue with mobo or other components since it works fine without r9 290 and works fine with the gtx 550

I will be trying the card on a friend's PC for a final check but I was wondering if anyone here could provide insight or advice.
Could it possibly be the PSU? I didn't think so since it ran the setup fine previously and it runs no issue without the card...
Just in case the PSU is EVGA 220 gs 0550 v1 80 plus gold 550w

Can use any help or tips! Thank you!!

Edit: the first time I noticed my rig stopped working was when I swapped the DVI cable with a HDMI. Would that affect anything...?

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
A GTX 550 is only a 115W card vs 300W for an R9 290, and it only requires a single PCIE 6pin vs 8pin & 6pin for the latter. So yes, your PSU could have taken a dump, especially since 550W is asking a lot from a PSU to power a system with an R9 290. My guess is you lost a couple FET's on your PSU's PCIE output and that's why it half works now. Changing from DVI to HDMI would not harm anything by itself.

Verifying the GPU on a buddies system is your best bet at this point... Good Luck

schshkim

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Sorry, could you elaborate on the PSU part? does that mean something went wrong with the PSU? and is your guess of what happened irreversible? Thank you so much for your help

schshkim

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Also I don't hear any beeps when I power on my system, but I do hear beeps if I try to turn on without RAM/normal POST with no GPU... does this indicate anything?