FX-8350 freezes after installing CM Hyper TX3

pronoy_banerjee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Hey Guys,

I built my rig a couple of weeks back and used the stock cooler that comes with 8350. I got the CM Hyper TX3 yesterday and installed it today with Deepcool Z5 thermal paste.

When I had run the intel Burn test v2 with the stock cooler, the temps went upto 68C; now, everytime I run the test, the PC freezes. This is not due to overheating because right before the PC freezes, the temps are at high 50's - 60C.

I noticed that the cooler's base plate does not cover the total surface area of the chip. Is this a matter of concern?

Solution
Actual CPU is under the metal cover (heat spreader) and is in the middle and much smaller than it's cover. it's only 15 x 15 mm or smaller, No need for a cooler to cover everything.
The TX3 isn't much better than standard Intel and AMD heatsinks, so if you've overclocked, then overheating is the most likely problem. The FX-8350 starts to throttle and cause shutdowns at around 70C.

I've never come across a heatsink that doesn't cover the entire surface area of the CPU, and the fact that your one doesn't is concerning. Leaving part of the CPU exposed, and therefore without cooling, could explain the high temperature.

pronoy_banerjee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
The CPU is not overclocked at all, I hate how loud the stock fan is, so I switched to TX3.
AMD Overdrive utility shows the thermal margin to hover at 45-49 C at idle and around 25-30C while playing Farcry4 at ultra-1080.

@bicycle_repair_man, trust me, the base plate is smaller than the CPU by a couple of millimeters on all sides.

I will run the test again and let you guys know.

_zxzxzx_

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

What are your case temps like? I've had a few water blocks and coolers which don't fully cover the surface of the CPU so I don't think it's too much of a big deal. Most heat is concentrated around the center anyway.

pronoy_banerjee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

So I ran the test again, and the thermal margin dips down to 5-6 Degrees with a standard test.
I believe, previously I ran the test without letting the thermal paste set in properly.

pronoy_banerjee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

I have an Asus M5A99FXpro r2.0
6+2 Phases..

The case that i have is a Spec01.. It does not have the clearance for hyper 212 unfortunately.

pronoy_banerjee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

Unfortunately, Cryorig products are not available in India. I was looking at Deepcool S40 before purchasing the TX3.

Do you suggest anything better?

pronoy_banerjee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions. As of now, I'm keeping the TX3, will add a secondary fan very soon, and probably I might go for liquid cooling when I overclock the CPU.

Mods, please close this thread.

TRENDING THREADS