Upgrading Thinkpad T430

enm22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hey guys, I know that you will immediately think this is stupid. I do too. I already have an MSI gaming notebook. I am doing this for fun and maybe to give to my nephew, if it works. I got a Thinkpad T430 for free last week. It was the top of the line model (Specs Below). My hope is to upgrade the graphics. CPU and RAM etc are good enough. I want to know if this is possible and, worth it. Thanks for your replies.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
GPU: NVIDIA NVS 5400M
RAM: 16GB
Monitor: 1080p

EDIT: There is a SATA CD drive so I could put another SSD in it's place to use in RAID. I currently have a 500GB SSD installed.

Solution
Yes you could probably swap out the CD/DVD drive for another SSD or put a hard drive in it place. You do know that RAID 0 is risky and that data loss on either drive will cause you to be totally screwed? If you do put in another SSD consider not putting it in a RAID 0 with your current one. Also it is best to use the same exact drive when you do RAID's.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Seems like a fairly solid laptop in its current standing, sadly most laptop components are soldered to the motherboard with the exception of RAM and optical/hard drives.

The GPU seems a touch on the weak side, but not horrible really.

Yes you could probably swap out the CD/DVD drive for another SSD or put a hard drive in it place. You do know that RAID 0 is risky and that data loss on either drive will cause you to be totally screwed? If you do put in another SSD consider not putting it in a RAID 0 with your current one. Also it is best to use the same exact drive when you do RAID's.

Solution