G1 980 Sli (2-way) underperforming

Bhops123

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
I have two 980 g1 gpus running in sli. My processor is a 5820k running at 3.3-3.5 ghz. But when I come to games like Arma 3, I only get 30-40-50 FPS on ultra settings (1440p). Should I be getting a higher fps on games like this? Is there anything wrong or am I overestimating my gpus? What should be my target fps for games like Fallout 4 on ultra settings?

The Arma franchise is known for poor CPU usage. They are all CPU bound and use 1-2 threads. You might try OCing that 5820K. They are very capable OCers due to having such low stock clocks. Fallout 4 is also known to be CPU bound as well.

OCing is most likely your move, but you may also want to make sure your GPU usage is indeed low. Download MSI Afterburner and monitor the GPU usage of both cards.

Never played ARMA but Fallout 4 are not really that demanding. With my current rig i can play on ultra (no AA, godray low, DSR 2k) and still able to maintain 60fps. But i heard the game still not having proper SLI profile from nvidia. For those with SLI setup they were forcing SLI to work using inspector.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

no arma 3 runs like crap no matter your system, its programmed like junk. If you want better fps you need to overclock your cpu.

you should be maxing fallout 4 with a single 980 ti ( sli doesnt work on it at the moment though )

Bhops123

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

How can I monitor it? Start a game and then leave to check it? Or is there a way to see it in game?

TripppleB

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Open MSI Afterburnder and leave the game running while playing a little and after you close it you should be able to go back to MSI Afterburner and it will have time stamped the GPU usage on different intervals. You can simply see this by hovering you mouse over the graph on their monitoring graphs.

Bhops123

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

Update: I monitored both cards and one is running at 50 percent and the other is running at 0 percent. My motherboard (GA-X99 SLI) has 4 slots and I have a feeling that graphics cards are plugged into the wrong spots. slots 1-2 are 16x and the bottom 2 are 8x. Could this be true? Or should I contact the manufacturer?

Bhops123

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
UPDATE: I had the motherboard replaced, and it was fine and I now know for sure that it is the graphics cards alone. I tested the cards earlier today and both cards had equal temps during a furmark test, however when I just tested them the second gpu didn't rise in temp. At this point, I'm wondering if the cards are lemons because with me just getting my motherboard replaced, I know something is wrong with the gpus themselves.

Hold on. You are jumping to conclusions. What game were you playing that only used the 1 card? Not all games support SLI. If Furmark did, and the game didn't, chances are, the game doesn't support SLI. It also sounds as if you have a severe bottleneck, as even the card that is in use, is only being used to half its ability.

As I mentioned before, some of those games are severely CPU limited, and no matter how fast your GPU is, you can only go as fast as the CPU feeding it. And in at least 1 case, some games simply are coded poorly, and no matter what hardware you have, you simply will not get high FPS (Online Arma games for example).

Bhops123

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

All games, War Thunder, Fallout 4, Rust, etc.