Solved

Port forwarding not working

Hey,

I've port forwarded before on multiple networks but can't seem to do it at my new house with a similar router to one I've had before (similar as in same router name, same router config look).

It's Ubee Cable Modem thing with software vers 9.30.2210.

Yes, I have restarted both my computer and the router multiple times. I always port forward then restart both since I almost always try using the port before I open it due to bad habits.

Before I get into the real meat of the issue, something odd happened that might explain everything... I was trying to port forward and I ended up having to restart the router (obviously) and our public IP changed. I tried restarting a couple more times and it didn't change again. HOWEVER, Simple Port Tester is returning all the ports as failed to open so I do not think this is related at all.

No matter what port I try to forward it does not seem to work at all. This is on two different computers so it pretty much eliminates the problem that it could be our Windows or Firewall settings... could be that we need to change to adjust for this router, but I haven't found anything saying that could be true. Were both running Windows 10, I did port forward after upgrading from 8.1 -> 10 (without formatting). Since then I have reformatted so I have the basic Windows 10 settings for networking. I have not used anything to block it from talking to Microsoft since I formatted.

As far as the router goes, I have tried forwarding like so: http://i.imgur.com/pNz7McJ.png. The three blocked out external IPs is our public IP. Gotta try everything ya know? Anyway, None of those ports are actually open. I tried hosting Minecraft through it and everyone is getting rejected connections. I ran Simple port Tester on all of those ports and they all fail. Here is what my options page looks like.

I have a one router setup so only one IP. DMZ is off. The router firewall is on low, which doesn't block ports. I do not have an installed firewall; I tried allowing the port in Windows Firewall to no avail.

Does anyone know something else I can try? Is there any additional information I need to include?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about port forwarding working
  1. Best answer
    ExperimentalDJ said:
    As far as the router goes, I have tried forwarding like so: http://i.imgur.com/pNz7McJ.png. The three blocked out external IPs is our public IP. Gotta try everything ya know? Anyway, None of those ports are actually open. I tried hosting Minecraft through it and everyone is getting rejected connections. I ran Simple port Tester on all of those ports and they all fail. Here is what my options page looks like.


    External IP addresses are not entered unless you are restricting access from specific WAN addresses. You also would not enter LAN IPs or your own public IP.

    Enter "0.0.0.0" in the External IP address fields.
  2. BuddhaSkoota said:


    External IP addresses are not entered unless you are restricting access from specific WAN addresses. You also would not enter LAN IPs or your own public IP.

    Enter "0.0.0.0" in the External IP address fields.


    Rofl, I've always used the same IP in both. Thanks so much!
  3. BuddhaSkoota said:


    External IP addresses are not entered unless you are restricting access from specific WAN addresses. You also would not enter LAN IPs or your own public IP.

    Enter "0.0.0.0" in the External IP address fields.


    Could you also explain what External IP means? How would it block specific WAN addresses by doing so? It doesn't block only the IP put in there, that would be absurd... right?

    Not in the sense of what an external IP is, just what does it mean on this router.

    Thank you again!
  4. ExperimentalDJ said:
    Could you also explain what External IP means? How would it block specific WAN addresses by doing so? It doesn't block only the IP put in there, that would be absurd... right?

    Not in the sense of what an external IP is, just what does it mean on this router.


    I think I did word it a little awkwardly in my previous post.

    The External IP address field is used to enter only one external address that you want to allow to access your server and block all others. This would be more useful when running a file server and the external user's address is known and fixed.

    Entering "0.0.0.0" allows all external IP addresses to access your server, which is required when running a game server for multiple users.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Port Port Forwarding