980 ti or SLI 780s

SanguisTigris

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I've been looking to buy a 980ti. Currently running a single 780. Just wondering if it would be worth going to, or just SLI the 780s.

Solution
if you can get another 780 for a decent price then that is going to be the best option. they will definitely either perform as good or slightly better than a 980ti. thats not to say its better though. i wouldn't recommend someone buy two 970 right now instead of a single 980ti. but you already own a 780 so its different. if you have a rig capable of accepting sli then you can get another 780 for $225 roughly and kick the bucket down the road a bit until the next generation flagship cards appear.

Hawkshot

Admirable
its going to be far better as far as gaming performance goes to get the 980ti, most games don't run too well off SLI setups so a stronger single card is always recommended and well there doesn't really get much better than the 980ti right now :)

As it would be great to have 2 780 in sli you going to get better overall performance with the highest end Gpu you can use as a single as hawk said even in CF and SLI some games actually run lower FPS and you avoid any issues when just running one card by it self, The 980Ti would be the clear choice.

McDuncun

Honorable
Dude the thing is 2 780`s will be awsome and you will have a lot of graphics processing power but the fact of the matter is that "one strong single GPU setup is always better than a dual GPU setup." And the 980ti is an insanely powerful card and you`ll even get better performance in soe games on it than the 2 780`s. Go for the 980ti and experience the pinnacle of gaming performance!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Its worth mentioning that getting an additional 780 will cost significantly less, and offer more performance, so worth considering..

Dont get me wrong, money no object sure get the 980 ti, but 780s can be picked up for peanuts by comparison and are very powerful in SLI.

McDuncun

Honorable

That is also very true! If you can`t get rid of the 780 at a good price then yes its going to get bit expensive. 780 in SLI is extremely powerful but the 980ti is one of the most powerful single gpu cards ever created. SO I`d still say go 980ti and then one day you can go 980ti SLI!!!!!! Hell Yeah!

if you can get another 780 for a decent price then that is going to be the best option. they will definitely either perform as good or slightly better than a 980ti. thats not to say its better though. i wouldn't recommend someone buy two 970 right now instead of a single 980ti. but you already own a 780 so its different. if you have a rig capable of accepting sli then you can get another 780 for $225 roughly and kick the bucket down the road a bit until the next generation flagship cards appear.

Solution