i5 4690 Build - Mainly minecraft - What parts?

gleavek

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Hi,

I am looking to build a gaming PC for the first time and been looking around for weeks and reading reviews and finding it difficult what parts to buy. I've been using PC Part picker to make sure parts work well together but still not sure so would like some help and advice from people who are more experienced than me.

What I am looking for is a good spec machine to play minecraft on max settings and high render etc....and be able to work well with mods, but also able to record screen whilst playing and still get a good FPS. Other uses will be some video editing, some photoshop and maybe some other games at good to high settings.

I know I want an i5-4690 and not fussed about over clocking. Having a machine where I can upgrade the parts later if I want a beefier machine would be ace. Just want to make sure I get a motherboard which is right for the graphics card. Been looking at R9 280's and GTX 960's but which should I get? Also....which manufacturer as there are so many.

I did a rough build here ....£600 approx but would like to get cheaper.

Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core UK
ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video
Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power
Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Also....could I still use for Minecraft and general windows WITHOUT the Graphics Card and then buy this part next month to split the costs or would i need that from day one?

Thanks in advance

Solution

Motherboard - there is no processor or GPU speed difference between a bottom of the range H81 and a top end Z97 hero maximus whatever, unless you are doing overclocking.
My mobo is OK for running an i5 (not all budget boards are) and has sufficient connectivity for me, but feel free to spend more if you want.

ModMonster

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Dude, do you know how easy it is to run MC? I have a 4690k 4.4Ghz with a 750Ti and generally get 300+FPS on MC while recording with Maximum frames at 1080p. You would be fine with a 7870k alone. But if you insist, get a 960 the manufacturer doesn't really matter, just get the cheapest one, that matches your color scheme, some are quieter than others and some allow better overclocking. Some of which supply some of each.

lodders

Admirable
Minecraft runs fine with just onboard graphics. Video editing and photoshop also works great using just onboard graphics.

You will be amazed how much faster and quieter your PC is if you get an SSD.

See if you can get a motherboard for less money - you don't need a Z series board for that CPU.

gleavek

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah it's not just for minecraft but that's all I use right now but want to start recording and doing video editing too and then probably get into other games.

Just don't want to buy rubbish parts when I may as well get a build that will work for other games too and can upgrade.

I'll keep with the 960. Any thoughts on the motherboard?

lodders

Admirable

Motherboard - there is no processor or GPU speed difference between a bottom of the range H81 and a top end Z97 hero maximus whatever, unless you are doing overclocking.
My mobo is OK for running an i5 (not all budget boards are) and has sufficient connectivity for me, but feel free to spend more if you want.

Solution

gleavek

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Thanks Lodders I appreciate your help. I'll save some costs on a motherboard then that's great to know. Can't wait to start ordering the parts! That's tomorrow's job hopefully.