R9 390, is it safe to just lower memory clock settings to reduce idle temps?

plasticslug

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
To be honest, not sure what I am really doing here in CCC, but one thing I know for sure is that my 2 monitor setup with a R9 390 gets a bit warm at 60C when I am simply browsing the internet, the fact I am using 2 monitors jump my memory clocks to 1500 Mhz and it warms very simple.

I do know if I lower the memory clocks to say... 600 Mhz, both monitors work great, and the temps even go down... Now if that was the case AMD should have just made it that way and all would be happy, but that may not be the case.

Could lowering the clock speeds, and leaving everything else the same damage the card?
I also dont know how voltages come into to play here.

EDIT: my 15 minute test of lowing my Memory clock to 650 Mhz down from 1500 Mhz has resulted in 60C temps once again, so I may have answered my own question...

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
If you lowered the clocks and got the results you were looking for than stick with it. It will not damage your card to run slower than intended. It just isn't common because no one buys a GPU so they can plug it in and slow it down.

I would try gaming with the lower memory speeds and see if the performance still meets your expectations. If it does, great! Stick with those speeds. However, if you experience poor gaming performance you may want to let them run hot. Unless you have the patience to turn the memory clock back up every time you play a game.

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
"60C is nothing to worry about! The card is designed for up to 94C" I completely agree.

The temps you are reporting are not going to hurt your card. If you are looking to lower the heat build up in the room your computer is in, than you might wanna continue.

plasticslug

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Quote: If you lowered the clocks and got the results you were looking for than stick with it. It will not damage your card to run slower than intended. It just isn't common because no one buys a GPU so they can plug it in and slow it down.

I dont mind the high temps gaming, just think its a waste to run that hot just browsing the web or watching netflix. May consider adding a side fan.