Best 980 TI on the market currently?

wbingham

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Are you planning on sticking with the stock cooler or replacing it with a water block or aftermarket cooler?

If you are sticking with the stock air cooler then the MSI Lightning is probably one of the fastest factory over-clocked cards you can get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127908

If you are looking for a water cooled solution, then you can choose one of the hydro series that have water cooling already applied or any design that has an aftermarket waterblock available.

If you are not using the stock fans for cooling and going with custom water cooled, then you are playing the silicon lottery when it comes to which is the "best" card. Many reference design cards have been shown to overclock faster than the factory overclocked cards will on water cooling and some from the same manufacture fall short of the 1200 mhz of the card above.

Choosing the factory over-clocked cards if you are adding water cooling afterwards only gives you some comfort that you "should" be able to get at least those factory speeds on a water block and maybe a little more.

Manufactures purposely test their boards when they are made to identify which ones off the same assembly line perform better than others. They separate these cards to later put their "super clocked" logo's on vs ones that just get reference stock clocks or minor over clocks.

Shnuggles

Reputable
May 17, 2015
^ I am sticking with stock air cooling for GPU, too sketch to mess with water cooling on a GPU right now.
Will I able to OC the MSI 980 TI 6G and be fine without issues?

ALSO, I still don't know if I am even going to OC the card, I would LOVE to, yes, but I have never done it before, I've never OC'd anything on a PC so far, but would very much love to do so, yes. So should I go for the Lightning or the 6g?