R9 380 4GB GTA V 4K Very High Unbelievable Performance (What the Hell?)

LoveOverClock

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
As the title say today i tested a new build with an i3 4170 and R9 380 4GB, and i was curious at gta v 4k what fps should i get, so i turned everything maxed out very high/ultra 4xmsaa 3824x2131 resolution expect advanced graphics, population density,population variety and distance scaling those settings were closed, and i got playable 35-27 FPS.I used fraps to monitor my fps.How is this possible????

Solution
Recommended specs can be misleading.
Game vendors want high specs so their games will perform well.
It does not necessarily mean that the game will not run with other options.

i3 is a dual core, but hyperthreading gives it 4 dispatchable tasks.

I would be very interested in a test with lower resolution or eye candy.
If fps increases, it would indicate that the graphics card is the limiter, and not the cpu.

If fps stays the same, then the cpu is the limiter.
GTA 5 recommends a quad core Cpu and the I3 4170 is a dual core and GTA V is a multi core CPU intensive game because of all the moving objects that needs to be processed by the CPU (vehicles, pedestrians, animals, etc.), and there are a lot of moving objects in the world of Grand Theft Auto V (especially on PC). Rockstar games can only optimize the game to a certain point, and at some point the user needs to upgrade their hardware, that's how it works. Sure, there will be dual cores that will run the game, but that doesn't mean that they will have a great experience. I wouldn't recommend anybody to buy a dual core in the year of 2015.

From PCGamer (according to Rockstar):

Minimum Specs

OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB

Recommended Specs

OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB

Recommended specs can be misleading.
Game vendors want high specs so their games will perform well.
It does not necessarily mean that the game will not run with other options.

i3 is a dual core, but hyperthreading gives it 4 dispatchable tasks.

I would be very interested in a test with lower resolution or eye candy.
If fps increases, it would indicate that the graphics card is the limiter, and not the cpu.

If fps stays the same, then the cpu is the limiter.

Solution
Hyper threading only job is to keep the CPU busy not add more cores after the processor finishes a task the next one is already lined up and ready to go for the next available core so a dual core is only a dual core NOT A Quad Core and new games are quad core standard so there will be a performance hit using a dual core when quad is becoming the standard for a gaming pc in 2015 now back in the day a dual core was great for gaming but times are changing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJd6_NXC-w