200 Dollar or less Video Card Upgrade

AvidEx

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
I wanted to purchase a video card that is around the 200 dollar price range, since my old 6870 finally retired. Whats the best upgrade I can do when it comes to a video card without suffering from the least bottlenecks if there is any.

I currently have a

Phenom II x4 B50 OCed @ 3.7ghz
Asus m5a78l-m lx3
8GB RAM
Corsair VS 650 Watts

Solution
Actually, your processor is really old. None of the cards will bottleneck it, you are more likely to see stutter because your Phenom CPU is bottle necking your system not your GPU. But don't worry, there will not be a major bottleneck, I actually doubt you will see any stutters.

Just heads up, after you get a graphics card, think about trashing your CPU and the motherboard - they are getting REALLY old.

AvidEx

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
I am mainly gaming in 1080p and I wanted to make sure if both of the cards won't bottleneck my processor. So I can decide what to get. People are telling me that Nvidia cards are good with procs that are old and don't bottleneck them whereas some Amd cards do.

Thank you for the response.

Actually, your processor is really old. None of the cards will bottleneck it, you are more likely to see stutter because your Phenom CPU is bottle necking your system not your GPU. But don't worry, there will not be a major bottleneck, I actually doubt you will see any stutters.

Just heads up, after you get a graphics card, think about trashing your CPU and the motherboard - they are getting REALLY old.

Solution

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
you wont bottleneck but you will stutter in some games in intensive moments because that CPU is so old, as Oleg said i would go with the gtx 960 simply because runs cooler and quieter, but that my preference you choose yours! :)