Go with i3-4170 or i5-4590 for a prebuilt gaming desktop

GodCorleone

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Hello guys I want to buy a gaming desktop (I know I should build one) with GTX 950 as the video card.
I currently reside in China and I have a choice between a desktop with i5-4590 costing 2999 CNY or ~465 USD and a desktop with i3-4170 costing 2599 CNY or ~402 USD. Should I spend the extra ~62$ and go with the i5 or should I save it and use it for something else.

I have a feeling that my Prebuilt desktops are actually cheap compared to what prebuilt desktops should cost and I have no worries if it's authentic or not. I am planning to buy from JD which is renowned for its trustworthiness. Maybe China charges you less than other western countries. I don't know, I would love to know your opinion.

I will be playing GTA5, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, AC: Syndicate, Just Cause 3 and other AAA titles. Are these games worth the extra ~62$?

Solution
Most games (especially future titles) will appreciate having a quad-core CPU like the i5, and some games may struggle with the dual-core i3. Long story short, even though the i3 is a good little processor for light gaming, the i5 would be the far better pick out of the two and is definitely worth the extra money if you have it. If in the future you decide to buy a more powerful graphics card the i3 would likely start to be a bottleneck, and so the 4590 would push more frames out of the GPU than the i3, as well as running background tasks, photo and video editing suites and other intensive programs much faster.

Jack_F99

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Most games (especially future titles) will appreciate having a quad-core CPU like the i5, and some games may struggle with the dual-core i3. Long story short, even though the i3 is a good little processor for light gaming, the i5 would be the far better pick out of the two and is definitely worth the extra money if you have it. If in the future you decide to buy a more powerful graphics card the i3 would likely start to be a bottleneck, and so the 4590 would push more frames out of the GPU than the i3, as well as running background tasks, photo and video editing suites and other intensive programs much faster.

Solution