R9 390 Overclocking/Heat thoughts/questions

Swobu

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Hey, I've got the ASUS STRIX version of the R9 390 card and I'm thinking about overclocking it slightly.

My ideal GPU fan speed is 50% as anything above that gets quite noisy.
I'm running a Z97-a MoBo with an i5 4690k & 16GB 1866mHz RAM.

I can't run FurMark for very long without overheating the card (95 degrees c) at 50% fan speed, however at 100% fan speed it stops rising at about 82 degrees.

Unigine Heaven was much easier on the GPU, max temperature being 85 degrees at 50% fan speed, however that leaves very little room to overclock.

What do you guys think?

Solution
I have an MSI Gaming R9 390 and it gets quite hot if I let it (the driver lets the fan go to about 48% which is very quiet but it is not enough to cool the gpu for hours at extended load-it gets to about 84 degrees or more after some time while gaming) So I start MSI Afterburner while playing a demanding game and set the fan speed to 60-70% (It keeps the gpu around 70-74 degrees for hours) (It doesn't disturb me as the gpu is the only loud thing in the system, after the DVD (when it's running):)) (I have an i7 6700k, Dark Rock Pro 3 Cpu Cooler , and a bequiet silent base 800 case with an extra fan.). In conclusion I recommend you to leave the gpu at factory clock as the chip in the R9 390 (and especially in the R9 390X) is already...
I have an MSI Gaming R9 390 and it gets quite hot if I let it (the driver lets the fan go to about 48% which is very quiet but it is not enough to cool the gpu for hours at extended load-it gets to about 84 degrees or more after some time while gaming) So I start MSI Afterburner while playing a demanding game and set the fan speed to 60-70% (It keeps the gpu around 70-74 degrees for hours) (It doesn't disturb me as the gpu is the only loud thing in the system, after the DVD (when it's running):)) (I have an i7 6700k, Dark Rock Pro 3 Cpu Cooler , and a bequiet silent base 800 case with an extra fan.). In conclusion I recommend you to leave the gpu at factory clock as the chip in the R9 390 (and especially in the R9 390X) is already pushed close to the limits. But if you really want to OC I recommend setting the fan to about 70-75% (find the sweet spot in terms of temps and noise), as 50% fan ain't going to cut it with OCing an R9 390, even with good airflow. Anyway you won't achieve a huge overclock (my guess is +120-150mhz on the core (I wouldn't OC the memory on this gpu as I don't think it's worth it) max if you are lucky and are ok to leave it at those settings for longer periods of time) and in some games it you won't even notice a performance boost. Also the gpu would consume more power.

Solution