HD 7950 vapor-x requires two 8 pin, I have 8 + 6 pin

RU_legions

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
As the title says, I have two 7950s that require two 8 pins each, however I only have 2 8 pins and 2 6 pins. My PSU is a XFX 750W 80+ bronze and I checked and they say it will support two HD 7950s easily.

Would I be able to get away with using 1 6 pin plus 1 8 pin in both GPUs and not overclocking?

I did some maths and research and some sites cited the HD 7950 vapor-x as using only 155W under full load, the pci-e 2 lane provides 75W, the 6 pin another 75W and the 8 pin 150W, so I should be okay if this maths adds up.

Solution
It is always recommended to power up your devices by connecting all the available connectors to your device unless it's stated that a pin or two can be avoided such as the 8 pin EPS connector on a motherboard can be populated with only 4 pin connectors instead of the full 8 but if you're going to overclock then the full 8 pins need to be used.

This article may be a good read for you and others looking into power questions while you should read this as a followup to the article. You could plug in the connectors upto your GPU as you've thought out though do note to keep the right most connectors powered off the 6 pin leads while the left most connectors are running off the 8 pin leads.

Ofc there is also the point...

Lutfij

Titan
It is always recommended to power up your devices by connecting all the available connectors to your device unless it's stated that a pin or two can be avoided such as the 8 pin EPS connector on a motherboard can be populated with only 4 pin connectors instead of the full 8 but if you're going to overclock then the full 8 pins need to be used.

This article may be a good read for you and others looking into power questions while you should read this as a followup to the article. You could plug in the connectors upto your GPU as you've thought out though do note to keep the right most connectors powered off the 6 pin leads while the left most connectors are running off the 8 pin leads.

Ofc there is also the point of picking two of these and be done with it and move forward with gaming/working on your system.

:)

Solution