574 Watt load on 600 watt psu

pilot_nate

Honorable
May 8, 2013
So I recently got a new Zotac 970 (love it!) for dual gpu setup with a 760. I have a 600 watt psu and all components run great under normal load. according to http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator, the load is 574 watts. Should I get a new PSU? If so, what is recommended?

Solution

What psu do you have now? You probably dont need a new one if its decent 600watts is plenty for that setup. Like i said your pc will only use 574 watts if everything is at full load your cpu and both gpu's which is not going to happen a 760 thats just running monitors will use very little power, with just the 970 under load your system will pull about 400watts or so.

If its a evga g1 unit no its not very good look at the evga 750 b2 or g2.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well a 970 and a 760 wont run in sli together. So unless you use the 760 as a physx card for physx games the gtx 760 will be doing nothing and barely sucking any power so your system wont be using 574watts. If it was yes I would recommend you get a more powerful psu.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
That's cutting it mighty close ! Lol but I run my r9 290 and fx 6300 on a evga 500b. If it boots and plays games without bursting into flames or exploding then your good . Also make sure the psu is a good brand and not a chineese cheap $10 one . If your going to upgrade than the Raid Max Vampire 700w Continuous 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply - New egg.com $45. Only the vampire psu. Anything else from them blows .

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

It would be cutting it close, but that calculator is assuming the 970 and 760 are running at 90% load which is never going to happen in real life. Nothing I know of will use a gtx 760 and a 970 simultaneously maybe some editing software could but certainly not games.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

What psu do you have now? You probably dont need a new one if its decent 600watts is plenty for that setup. Like i said your pc will only use 574 watts if everything is at full load your cpu and both gpu's which is not going to happen a 760 thats just running monitors will use very little power, with just the 970 under load your system will pull about 400watts or so.

If its a evga g1 unit no its not very good look at the evga 750 b2 or g2.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

G1's are made by FSP I believe which is not always a bad thing but in this case it is. The g1 units have poor voltage regulation on all rails, mediocre ripple suppression, poor crossload test results, and a few other issues the G1's aren't terrible but usually the evga b2 is around the same price and that performs much better, the b2 and g2 are made by superflower a very well respected psu manufacturer. The g2's are some of the best consumer power supplys on the market right now but they are a bit expensive.

Review of b2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=393