Best i5 6500 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kun_

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Hey, im planning to buy a new lga 1551 motherboard for my i5 6500. Im consedering to buy either its Asus Z170 Pro Gaming or the MSI Z170A Pro Gaming. Or maybe there other better choice?

tubagznyven

Distinguished

U planning to buy i5 6500 that cant be overclocked,so u better not buy mobo that z series
Buy h series or b series

Kun_

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

Yup, ive got no plan to OC-ing. Can u recommend me the best performance/value lga 1551 mobo H/B series? (Red theme preferred)

tubagznyven

Distinguished

Are u gonna using ddr3 or ddr4?
Well for h series i recommend http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h170progaming
For B series i recomend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computers-B150-PRO-D3-Motherboard-Express/dp/B014QPFD88
That if u plan to use ddr3

Kun_

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Thank you for the answers. But, im still wondering between the Asus z170 pro gaming vs MSI z170A pro gaming, which is better? (Im not buying Z series mobo, just a random question)

MalinYamato

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

As far as I hear, you need to get a Z board to run memory faster than 2133mhz. The tests I have seen on the net you may get a substantial overall performance improvements by increasing memory speeds. Therefore, I don't see the real point in choosing a 6500 cpu over a 6100 cpu and limit yourself with a H or B board and neglect all the performance gains you may get by a Z board. I hesitate and agonize between choosing a 6100 or 6500 processor but I will def get a Z170i Pro Gamer board in any case to bring up memory speeds with Kingston XMS or Fury memory, which costs as much as DDR3 and little bit more than 2133 memory. I dont know much about computers but the youtubes I have watched it appears to be super easy to OC XMS men, just to change profiles by your Bios -- everyone can. Well, again this is my feelings, I am not really a gamer and don't have the knowledge that people here have about this stuff. Yet, I think that the suggestions about getting a H board instead of not that much more expensive Z board to be kinda absurd. Z has so much more such as more PCI express lanes, USB 3.1 and express SATA III which to me appear to be prerequisites to efficiently deal with higher resolution content such as 4K in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.