Oc'd Fx-8350 fails prime 95 runs like champ in games

Moralplacebo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I recently bought and put together a pc specs are
1. AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core(oc'd to 4.8ghz)
2.ASRock Gaming Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
3.Western Digital Blue Edition 2 TB HD
4.Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
5. CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 watercooler
6.CX850M PS(850 watts)
7.EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC
This pc is running Witcher 3 most things on Ultra(hairworks turned off, and shadows on low), and is running like a champ. But, when I try to run prime 95 my pc freezes with 10 sec(10secs is about the longest). Is my system fine if it runs games without issue, or does the prime 95 failure mean that I should lessen my overclock? Or, is my pc fine as long as I don't run prime 95?
p.s. My temps on HWmonitor show 28-32c, and when under load never goes above 45c.

Solution
Your OC isn't stable my friend. I would recommend a different program instead of Prime95...try out Aida64 or even IntelBurnTest, which can be used for AMD FX series processors. You've got a nice set up, it's just likely your CPU OC isn;t stable and you'll probably have to bump up the Vcore if your temps allow it...otherwise, you may need to back down the OC a bit.

I'd definitely try out a different stress testing program...Prime95 can be hit or miss, especially on the version, and it'll put a ridiculous amount of strain on your system that isn't all that probable. Aida64 seems to be pretty darn good for OCing, and as long as you aren't super anal-retentive about about the most perfect, stable OC on planet earth, then we can...
Nov 21, 2015
Your OC isn't stable my friend. I would recommend a different program instead of Prime95...try out Aida64 or even IntelBurnTest, which can be used for AMD FX series processors. You've got a nice set up, it's just likely your CPU OC isn;t stable and you'll probably have to bump up the Vcore if your temps allow it...otherwise, you may need to back down the OC a bit.

I'd definitely try out a different stress testing program...Prime95 can be hit or miss, especially on the version, and it'll put a ridiculous amount of strain on your system that isn't all that probable. Aida64 seems to be pretty darn good for OCing, and as long as you aren't super anal-retentive about about the most perfect, stable OC on planet earth, then we can certainly troubleshoot this. I'm very familiar with OCing your CPU alongside your H55i and similar Corsair Hydro series coolers. Feel free to message me if you have any additional questions, I will certainly follow up with you and help you out to get your OC at that "sweet spot" where it needs to be.

Let me know how things are going, and I'll check back soon.

Solution

Moralplacebo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Thank you for your help! I switched to Aida64, and it still kept happening. So I removed my northbridge, and ht overclocks. I didn't change the vcore on the cpu from the 1.475 I had it at, but it is running like a champ in aida64 now. I am still running at 4.8, and 1 hour on aida64 without any issue. Thanks again

Nov 21, 2015

No problem my friend! I'm glad you got it figured out. If you need anything else feel free to shoot me a message and I'll help you out. Happy holidays.