i5-6500 overclocking limits

tomaszandrzej

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
So we can overclock the non-K Skylakes now. Surely makes the whole range more interesting.

I am very new to this and I only managed to get it up to 3840MHz by increasing BCLK to 120MHz with my Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3000 running at 2880 14-16-16-36.

I would like to get the CPU to above 4GHz but it wont boot on BCLK 125MHz.
Do I need to change voltage or something else?

It is running really well on Noctua cooler maxing at 65C in gaming and idling at just above 30C.

The motherboard is Asrock Z170M Pro4s with BIOS 2.23

Many thanks for your time

Solution
not sure mate but locked multi normally just means its at its locked maximum. sometimes theres an option to lower it. i guess it will depend on your bios support.

dont forget about uncore.. the cpu's mmu ram cache.
the uncore is also tied to the base clock so try adjusting its multi if your having to drop your ram multi a lot.
also make sure your ram isnt set higher than your uncore frequency or the pc wont boot.

on my old i7 the uncore is x2 the ram frequency minimum. i would add +2 to the uncore if i was oc-in'g the ram directly or pushing the ram past spec with the cpu oc.
also had to add .020v to the uncore voltage.

on yours as its newer hardware the voltages might be different but the method seems to be the same.

Slovenia rulez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
@HEXiT yea you are right. I had the same problem which I fixed by setting the ram to a lower speed and then increasing the base clock until I reached the normall ram speed and now I have my cpu at 4,2ghz xD

tomaszandrzej

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

What CPU and motherboard are you using?

yeah they oc the in a similar way to the old neph parts.
you should be able to drop your cpu multi and increase your bclk if you need to fine tune your ram without loosing overall clock speed.

tomaszandrzej

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Ok so I got it up to 4GHz on 125MHz BCLK with slightly slower RAM and everything runs nice and cool.
Should be able to push it frther still.

How do I change CPU multiplier?

Unfortunately my WD Caviar Green HDD which is usually switched off and silent started making noises (like a drop of water ?) which is extremely annoying especially that the system is usually silent.

Has anyone else had problems with peripherals while overclocking?

not sure mate but locked multi normally just means its at its locked maximum. sometimes theres an option to lower it. i guess it will depend on your bios support.

dont forget about uncore.. the cpu's mmu ram cache.
the uncore is also tied to the base clock so try adjusting its multi if your having to drop your ram multi a lot.
also make sure your ram isnt set higher than your uncore frequency or the pc wont boot.

on my old i7 the uncore is x2 the ram frequency minimum. i would add +2 to the uncore if i was oc-in'g the ram directly or pushing the ram past spec with the cpu oc.
also had to add .020v to the uncore voltage.

on yours as its newer hardware the voltages might be different but the method seems to be the same.

Solution
couple of basics. you have set your voltages to manual? and you have unhitched the igpu form the blclk
the igp can limit your efforts to oc as its also tied to the blclk. so make sure its detached.
dropping multipliers and increasing the blclk, may force an increase in voltages if there left on auto. so set them all to manual (set to match the stock defaults) .

http://www.masterslair.com/determining-your-maximum-bclk-base-clock-frequency-i7-i5-i3 this article i found helpful back in the day. yes the info is old, but the method is sound for finding the max blclk.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/skylake-base-clock-overclocking,news-51961.html
fact is mate theres no reason why you cant get up to 4.5+ghz

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

you can overclock them. Im overclocked right now at 4.3 at 1.3 volts. You just need to make sure you have the correct bios installed.

SourMan

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Ahh okay. I kinda shyed away from the i3 6100 because of the fact I thought you can't over clock anymore. Btw do you know if you are going to be able to keep your oc settings forever? New to this.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

as long as you have the right motherboard, and you have the right bios flash then yes

SourMan

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Yeah I have a asrock z170 pro4s mb.

SourMan

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
That's awesome! I ended up going with a 6600k because it was worth the extra 30$ imo from the 6500 or i3 6100 just to play it safe incase I couldn't oc non k chips.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

ya then you will be fine just make sure you get the correct bios, and flash it.

jhyde99

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Incase you still need help... There is a great video on the website that has the BIOS' (overclocking.guide). Followed all his steps (adjusted obviously for our numbers) and have my 6500 at 4.25Ghz on 1.32V, I think. Will be pushing more soon.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

Ya i tried the highest i can get mine is 4.3. I tried 4.5 but the temps get to hot with my 212 evo, and it crashes

Kyle Bevan

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

Hi, i'm buying a new PC and wanted to get the i5 6500 OC to about 4.2 with the same cooler you have.
is it still possible to OC the i5 6500, and what mobo do you recommend? CHEAP.
also can you OC it with the latest bios or am i going to have to download it on a USB and flask boot the bios or something like that anyhow?

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

i use the asrock z170a x1 and yess u would have to put the bios on a flash drive and get version p1.40 if u get my motherboard. You can also get the asrock z170 pro4. Just dont get the asrock z170 micro board the 212 evo wont fit