I7 4790 serious heat problem.

Max_4_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I've just ordered a new PC, and was shocked to find it quickly and easily overheating and shutting off within minutes of turning it on. After looking at the machine I noticed the CPU cooler was missing the washers, and wasn't even making contact with the CPU. I proceeded to fit it tighter and turn it on. It was idling around 35 celsius (light load), which was much much better than before, but whenever something stressed the CPU it would go to the 80s and 90s. To give an example playing GTA V would skyrocket the temp to the 90s in just a minute. Noticing this I removed the CPU cooler again to check it out and saw whoever installed it used more TIM than I've seen on a processor. I'm hoping this was my problem, so I've cleaned it off ordered some Gelid GC Extreme. Do you think this will fix my problems or is there something else going on here? By the way, my GPU is at perfectly stable temperatures which leads me to believe it isn't influenced by bad airflow. Also my cooler is a Geminii S542.

Update:
After inspecting the cooler I noticed one of the mounting brackets was bent so much that I assume it was pushing part of the cooler from the CPU.

PressPlay

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Hi Max,

From the sounds of your story, there is a definite need for correctly applied thermal compound. I have seen with personal experience and across the internet that most overheating problems involve no or ill applied thermal compound. So that seems like the best first step to take. The important thing about applying though is to make sure you apply correctly.

Good luck

Max_4_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Though I appreciate your fast response you must not of seen the update, after having a look at the processor Its a 4790, also I'm using the Geminii S542 cooler. The company was CyberpowerPC, I knew of its bad rep at the time of ordering, I had just assumed I would straighten out any problems.

Max_4_

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Thanks for the answer, I'll post some results on the 21st when it arrives.

PressPlay

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Haha! I did not see the update. I apologize. Good luck still :)

Latest posts