FX 6300 Thermal Margin while Gaming

Spencer_2

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
I know this has been asked to death, but for me: When playing dota 2 or CSGO, both at high-very high, 1080, using AMD Overdrive I average about 8 thermal margin. Is this too low of a threashold? Using stock speeds and cooler. Should I consider a aftermarket cooler?
GPU - GTX 960 SSC 2GB

Thank you

Solution

You are fine. You are running close to the edge, but on the safe side. HOWEVER, you cooler may degrade over time with 'clag' on the fan, aged thermal paste, bearing wear, unlucky phases of the moon, so keep an eye on things. The way it is now may not be the way it will be in a year's time.
to me of course lower is all ways better ,but if your not experiencing issues like throttling - crashing /bsod'ing and all seems to run fine and normal call it good ??

and I assume your using the stock cooler that's about all you can expect . a after market cooler may/should help get it down some ??? that's something you never know until you do it and see where you stand with it ..

look over some of these and review what used and issues and resolves to get a idea ??

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/all.html?refine=fx+6300+hot

Spencer_2

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015

Great to hear thank you! So, having a TM of 8 or so is acceptable and not like 'panic mode'? The min it drops to was -2, but I assume that is only for a few seconds. I experience no hiccups or slowdowns, and never a shutdown, so it seems ok..

Thank you

You are fine. You are running close to the edge, but on the safe side. HOWEVER, you cooler may degrade over time with 'clag' on the fan, aged thermal paste, bearing wear, unlucky phases of the moon, so keep an eye on things. The way it is now may not be the way it will be in a year's time.

Solution

Spencer_2

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015

Ok thanks, So i should replace thermal paste in a little bit and keep an eye on cleanliness. Also, be aware of TM. Thanks!

well don't look a gift horse in the mouth - its seems to be working as expect and fine as is

you could do all that and end up worse then you are now as well [??] but that's all your call

if you plan to overclock then I would say scrap the factory fan and get a good aftermarket cooler - overclocking should eat up the 8c margin easy

It works now. Don't mess with it! Don't fix what isn't broken. Just monitor themal margin every month to see things are OK.