R9 380 2gb 1080p Vram Cap

TechSpecGuy

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
I currently have a gtx 960 2gb but am considering getting a 380 because it preforms better but my budget only allows me to get a 2gb 380 my 960 never uses up its vram but I heard that the 380 uses more vram or something similar so i was wondering if the 380 will cap at 2gb 1080p

Solution

Currently almost no game I can think of if you've tweaked the settings properly. Maybe in a few like GTA5, but even then you can tweak below 2GB. For example, I could crank up visuals and be getting say 30FPS max and need more than 2GB or I get stuttering but I don't do that.

Also, you said your "GTX960 never uses up its vram" so... what?

The 380 is going to use the EXACT same amount of memory if you've chosen the same settings in the game.

Currently almost no game I can think of if you've tweaked the settings properly. Maybe in a few like GTA5, but even then you can tweak below 2GB. For example, I could crank up visuals and be getting say 30FPS max and need more than 2GB or I get stuttering but I don't do that.

Also, you said your "GTX960 never uses up its vram" so... what?

The 380 is going to use the EXACT same amount of memory if you've chosen the same settings in the game.

Solution