R9 390-fury or GTX 970-980

Solution
if you play in 1080p you don't need more then the gtx970, frankly the gtx970 will probably be enough for 1440p

I don't recommend anyone get a 980/r9-390, worst buys on the market, when the 980ti is less then 100 more, and almost 50% faster/stronger. So either stick with the 970 or jump up to the 980ti. skip the cluster in between as most of those cards are really seriously overpriced for the slight gains in performance they have over a 970.
if you play in 1080p you don't need more then the gtx970, frankly the gtx970 will probably be enough for 1440p

I don't recommend anyone get a 980/r9-390, worst buys on the market, when the 980ti is less then 100 more, and almost 50% faster/stronger. So either stick with the 970 or jump up to the 980ti. skip the cluster in between as most of those cards are really seriously overpriced for the slight gains in performance they have over a 970.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

The 390 is on average cheaper than the 970 and on average it performs better at 1440p. I do agree about the 980 however. Personally i would go for the 970 or 390, in my opinion the 390 is the better buy. Or if you can afford it go for the 980 ti.

Tom's gpu reviews have lost focus to the point of being incoherent. It used to be pretty simple, best under 100, best under 200, best top end gpu for the money. Now they literally list almost every gpu available on the market (unless it's has comically bad price/performance) and name it's price a "price point", its not much of a recommendation anymore.

Personally I suggest people get something based on price/performance. The gtx970 is a price/performance king. The r9-390 basically performs the same, and costs more/same with a much louder cooler, much more power use, much more heat, and worse drivers, the gtx980 performs 10% better and costs 150+ more. you have to go all the way up to the 980ti to find another buy close to the 970 in price/performance. This is why i don't recommend anything in between those two. Everything in between is too expensive for the performance. In reality the 980ti is probably a little too pricy for it's performance as well, but it's got a much better premium on the $$ spend then everything between it and the 970.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

The 390 does not cost more than the 970, I have no idea where you are getting that. Double the VRAM, performs better at 1440p, any decent 390 like the sapphire nitro are plety quiet and cool, you can run a 390 off a 550watt psu.

the MSRP is lower on the 970, sure there are sales for some of the r9-390s, that bring it cheaper. And as someone who has owned both cards, no one in their right mind would suggest a r9-390 over a 970

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Lol quite a narrow minded statement. I know a lot of reviewers and fellow toms hardware members that would utterly disagree.

jerdle

Admirable
lol. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could recommend a 970 in any situation short of "I have a terrible psu and no room in the budget to upgrade."

OpP: If you're asking whick of the 4 cards you listed is the best, it would be the R9 Fury. Easily outperforms the 980 at 1440p, and is available for $489.99

Listen, i've no dog in the hunt with the red/green war. I've owned nvidia and amd/ati cards for years. My favorite price/performance gpu was a MSI HD 7770, I picked up for $89 and brought me into the HD gaming era, amazing buy. The card i got the most use out of was a GTX 9800, and bridging the middle was a venerable workhorse of a card, a HD3850. Prior to the 970 and dalliance with the r9-390, i had a r9-280x, which i loved as well.

I don't think AMD drivers are "bad", personally I've had a lot more issues with NVIDIA drivers over AMD drivers. Still, that does not make loud/hot and buggy lemon like the r9-290x/r9-390 a better card then the GTX 970. I'm sure everyone's experience varies but every time i've touched one of those 290x/390 cards i've found something wrong with them, my own one suffered from the common bios bug, i've had friend with other issues such as the constant crashing bug it seems to come with... overall it just doesn't work well.

or you don't want to go deaf. Seriously, i think owners of some of these cards like having a hair drier next to their ears. Personally i have a beautiful sound system, and i built my computer to be semi-passive. the gtx 970 was a perfect match. Once i owned one i couldn't in all seriousness go back to a noisy card again.

and yes, once you make a <10db (inaudible) system you get real sensitive to noisy stuff. some of the stuff i used to think was quiet (like my old r9-280x) are intolerably loud to me now. Heck, i ended up going through half a dozen fans till i found the right mix for the case.

Its for this reason i no longer recommend closed loop coolers (went though half a dozen of those till i went back to air towers in the persist of a quiet system) unless someone is seriously overclocking some heavy power draw chip like a fx 8 core.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
" Still, that does not make loud/hot and buggy lemon like the r9-290x/r9-390 a better card then the GTX 970". You see I just totally disagree with that sapphire nitro thermals top out at 68c with stock fan profile, the evga 970 63c not a whole lot hotter. Noise sapphire nitro 390 under load 43.5db, idle 0db fans dont spin. EVGA 970 SC 49.5db louder than 390, idle 0db fans dont spin. I dont own a 390 but 3 of my friends do and none of them have experienced any problems that I know of thus far.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-nitro-r9-390-8g-d5,4245.html

You must be running a 390 reference cards if you seriously think they are that much louder. Or hotter for that matter.

Bosaile1

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-DisplayPort-Graphics-ZT-90107-10P/dp/B00S99Z7TS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 this or this guys lol

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11244-01-20G-Radeon-NITRO-Graphics/dp/B015DXHEAW/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451351736&sr=1-4&keywords=r9+390

no more fighting. ive had more nvidia cards then amd. fury is nice but will be on 1080p till febuary. 970 is nice and consumes less power than any of them.
and 390 is leading the vram count with 8gbs. benchmarks dont really say much but a couple FPS for 1080.

jerdle

Admirable
February is less than 2 months away. Unless you have a power supply that's too weak for the 390, its easily the best choice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-nitro-r9-390-8g-d5,4245.html

"After recently reviewing Sapphire’s R9 Fury Tri-X, I’m not sure what I was expecting out of the R9 390 Nitro. This card comes in at a much lower price point, yet offers more GDDR5 memory. Needless to say, I was eager to see what it could do.

After running my tests, I realized I underestimated what a 390 could do. Priced to compete with Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 970, I expected to see approximately the same level of performance. But I was surprised at the numbers it actually achieved. The R9 290X, which is technically a higher-tier card, wasn’t even in the same ballpark at higher resolutions. The 390 walked all over my GTX 970 sample, and consistently traded blows with the GTX 980. In many cases, it was right on the heels of Sapphire’s much more expensive Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X.

Curiously, while running tests in 1080p, the card didn’t perform as consistently. At that resolution, the R9 390 is a perfect match for the GTX 970. But it really stretches its legs at 1440p. Sapphire gives this card a performance rating of 4, which it considers ideal for 1080p. I would say it’s better suited for delivering more pixels than that. "