980 vs r9 390 crossfire which i better for 1080p

Solution
390 cf should have much better performance than gtx 980 at 1080p. With that being said, you do have deal with all the issues of crossfire like Compability, power consumption and heat.

jerdle

Admirable
well the 390 crossfire is far more powerful - though there are some games that don't support crossfire, in which case the 980 would deliver more frames.

At 1080p though, both of those would max out everything. Though the crossfire 390s would keep things maxed out longer.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
2x390 > 980.The R9 have great scaling. In benchmark they even reach 100%. The main drawbacks are the high power consumption and worse gaming support, as mentioned above. A lot of the AAA games that were released this year didn't have any support for sli stuff at launch. And after a while in a lot of games it was sketchy at best (Far Cry 4,Arkham).

Generally going for the best sinlge card solution is the safest bet. Instead of 2 390 a 980ti would be a better solution IMHO.

I'd agree with this, I would opt for a 980Ti

Vote for single more powerful gpu as well. And honestly i do quite hesitant to recommend CF. While they scale much better than nvidia but they also more problematic than nvidia. In one of Hardocp test SLI work in 6/6 games being test while for CF they only work in 3 out of 6 games.