100% CPU usage, High memory Usage, Can't fix

Leopard 600p

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Hi,

So I have this HP machine (not too old) running on Windows 7 that I use as a back up and to multi-task when playing games and doing other stuff on my main rig

Model: HP p6200z
- AMD Athlon LE-1660 @ 2.80 Ghz
- 4GB Ram
- 64 bit Windows 7 OS

This is the second time it has been having the problem mentioned above. CPU usage will reach 100% and memory usage will reach 60%

Last time I fixed it only by doing a system restore, which I don't want to do because I have many important files and it seems to be a persisting problem as it has done it for a second time. Both times it was about two weeks before it happened.

I've tried:

Killing dwm.exe (which had high usage)
Killing and relaunching explorer.exe (also abnormally high using)
Restarting my computer

I haven't scanned yet as it is taking forever (using avast btw). Last incident I scanned no viruses were found. Ill scan and get back with the results, though it may be a few hours

I'm curious if it is a windows update causing it.

I received the machine from a friend who couldn't get it working, but I did. Also, for some reason on Windows computers I have to check updates and restart multiple times to get to the most recent updates. Is there anyway to download them all at once and install? It would be easier. I don't know if updating it all the way would fix it but I'm open for it if there is an easy way. When scanning for updates it can take hours for it to finish.

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry if this is a lot of info, but the more the better.

Some Important notes:
- The CPU usage on the desktop always jumps around from 1% to the 70s in idle when it's running "normally" unlike my main rig that idles between 3% to 8%. It's weird. Maybe because it's a more low end computer. It will now do this for about fifteen minutes from booting before it spazzes out to 100% usage
- Memory runs usually at 25%
-In CoreTemp, the temperature meter will not change. It always says min: 21C max: 23C and
does not notify the type or brand of processor it is. Processor failure?
- Only background apps are Bluetooth(which was just recently added two days ago) and Avast!. I've heard that some have had antivirus conflict with Windows and that caused the problem

UPDATE:

The antivirus is still not finished but I forgot to check "processes for all users" and I'm actually having problems with svchost still, which happened last time.

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
try malwarebytes and superantispyware portable.
dont just use 1 antivirus. some catch what others dont.

try closing your background applications, and see if your performance increases. Selective Startup
Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.
Note: Selective Startup may disable firewall and security software. After you are finished testing, reenable your security software.

Leopard 600p

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Thanks for the response!

Sadly, though, no dice. Did scans, did the above, but svc.host is still causing problems when I try and check updates. I can disable automatic updates but when I want to check updates, so I can get windows 10, the issue comes back. This is also happening on another Windows 7 computer that was clean installed. It's fine till I click "Check for Updates" then it doesn't actually find any and just says it's checking, which it does for hours and svc.host goes nuts.

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php

i use codestuff starter to identify processes that i dont know are if they are using up a decent amount of memory. but since the sysinfo.org website is no longer getting updates and support there is a new website called pacmans portal which is basically the same thing but more up to date.

give codestuff starter a shot and use the program to search the processes by right clicking on them, whenb the box opens up go down to search internet and hover over it. another window will open up go to sysinfo.org startup or process application list(whatever tab your on from code stuff starter) search it using sys info. it will give you key values on the left hand side to identify if its really needing to be ran or not.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=vprot.exe
youll see the startup application name next to it will say status. under that it will give me the key value. and refer that to the key table. very useful tool ive used alot to make sure i dont have processes or programs running using up memory.

Leopard 600p

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I actually found the problem out. It actually is downloading updates, but the mass amount is overloading the system so it doesn't show anything on the progress bar until it's done.

Talked about it with Microsoft (and they actually helped for once)

Waited a few hours and boom, it worked.