R9 390 low core clock, 100% utilization, 60fps, stuttering games/video

CjLink

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hey there, so i bought a Powercolor r9 390 back around thanksgiving and I've been trying to troubleshoot it basically since I installed it. It has some really weird issues, and nothing ever seems consistent. I feel like I missed a setting somewhere that would make it work correctly.

Build details:
i5-4690k at 4.4ghz (stable, managing under 45C constantly)
asus z97 mobo, most recent bios
16GB (8x2) kingston 2133mhz RAM
rm750 psu
adata 240gb ssd (100+ gb left open) over 6gbps sata III
Powercolor r9 390

Here is what i'm seeing while playing rocket league http://imgur.com/MlRXsyh

i get a solid 65fps while playing the game, but the video stutters constantly and i get what LOOKS like massive frame drops but according to my steam overlay it's at 64-66 fps the whole time. Streams and videos seem choppy too but audio is solid.

I feel like the core clock on my gpu should be higher when at 100% utilization and i don't understand why the utilization is jumping up and down.

Crimson 15.12 drivers, newest cpu and bios drivers. DDU before new driver install. Afterburner settings slightly lower than i found here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_pcs_r9_390_8gb/

i'm at a loss boys, help me out...

edit: here's the passmark test results http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=53984843825

Solution
There are a few things that could be causing this and I will order them from most likely to least.

1) Working as Intended: Your GPU is scaling it's usage based on the requirements it has at any given moment. This is to keep it quiet and cool. In this case you can lock your GPU core clock via MSI Afterburner or similar, Google into that.

2) PSU Fail: Your GPU is down clocking itself because it can't pull enough power off the rails on your PSU.

3) GPU Heat: Your GPU is down clocking itself due to heat. Unlikely looking at your screenshot (damaged sensor possible, but highly unlikely).

akensai

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
There are a few things that could be causing this and I will order them from most likely to least.

1) Working as Intended: Your GPU is scaling it's usage based on the requirements it has at any given moment. This is to keep it quiet and cool. In this case you can lock your GPU core clock via MSI Afterburner or similar, Google into that.

2) PSU Fail: Your GPU is down clocking itself because it can't pull enough power off the rails on your PSU.

3) GPU Heat: Your GPU is down clocking itself due to heat. Unlikely looking at your screenshot (damaged sensor possible, but highly unlikely).

Solution

TheConsummator

Honorable
Jun 4, 2014
Yeah, my guess is that it's throttling because of heat. Try MSI Afterburner and set the fan speed manually so it hits 60% at 89 degrees. Also could just be the games. Sometimes my 290x stutters in full screen but does much better in borderless windowed.

There is a program called clockblocker. It essentially tricks the gpu and forces it to stay at max clocks when gaming. Powrplay is very aggressive on the 300 series. You can give it a go. It still allows clocks to drop ultra low when at desktop.

I had this issue and it cleared up the microstuttering on some games, namely black ops 3.

Rexer

Distinguished
CjLink. Did you have any problem running your old video card? What was it?
-akensai made mentioned 'psu'. That particular model, RM750, is that a Corsair RM750? Check the serial numbers to see if it's an early model. They had a recall a few years back for auto fan settings not kicking in properly. Heat will cause current to drop and fry computer. Corsair will replace it.
Tune up your computer-
-Try updating your chipset first, then your bios.
-You could have left over fragments of your old video driver hanging around. The Windows uninstaller doesn't always get everything. You may have to reinstall your old driver and use a third party uninstaller to remove paths to registry and directories. Then reinstall the current AMD drivers.
-If your old video card used game optimizing programs like Raptr, uninstall them and uninstall/reinstall the games using them. They create some weird twitching and crashing.
-Run a 'check disk' for windows errors repair. Start> Search>cmd (command Prompt>right click- 'run as administrator'>type chkdsk -enter. A dos program will start, let it run.
Games are damaged by crashes, need to be repaired by uninstall and reinstalling. Origin and Steam will keep your game awards and settings.
-Go into Crimson to Global Settings and turn off Frame Rate Target Control. It's was made to save energy by putting a limit on suddenly high fps spikes. It sets a ceiling frame rate (like capping spikes @100fps, preventing anything over).
-Use Ccleaner to clean out the collecting crap.
-It may be Spyware, Virus or malicious software. You can find 'free to use' copies of Malwarebytes, Spybot or SuperantiSpyware, Avast! and scan your computer. I go to MajorGeeks or Bleeping Computer and type it in their search box.
-Defrag everything.
-Check your network. Reset your router. If you're using wireless, try using cable or remove your computer and hookup another computer.
-Do a ping test. Ping Yahoo.com.
Hope some of this will help.

Rexer

Distinguished

clockblocker. Powrplay. Really? I'm an avid CoD Advanced Warfare player. Think they'll smooth it out?

Might do. After some more messing about I think clocks can be locked but if there is no demand for graphics (vsync, CPU maxing out) then usage will drop and volts drop even though core stays max clock.

I think powertune is quick enough to keep consistent frames but clockblocker might help. Use the latest download and in the settings tick the very bottom box to make it listen to afterburner oc settings

Rexer

Distinguished

Gonna try it this weekend. Let you know what happens. Thanks.

NO problem. I am using it now. Keeps core at 1130mhz but clearly voltage varies depending on load. If the core clock can vary at a per-clock level, there shouldn't be any issues letting powertune just get on with it. I am not so convinced though.....

hope it works out :)

Rexer

Distinguished

Well, I tried clockblocker this past weekend and it did a little smoothing over the micro stuttering. Didn't cure it but reduced it so that was impressive. I had to turn down my clocks to keep from crashing. After 2hrs. in CoD AW and 2hrs. BF3.
So how 're you using clockblocker with powrplay? Are you using it with Crimson? In other words, how'r you setting it up?

Leave crimson as is. I use msi afterburner to set overclock and voltage. Then I use clockblocker to start with windows. Set the rule in CB to block clocks at full screen 3D. job done.

As I said though, just because clocks are maxed, doesn't mean your gpu will always get max volts - that will depend on usage. I think its smoother than letting power play change clocks all the time!

EDIT - if you are having to clock down due to crshinf sounds like you may have heat issues? Also, make sure shader cache is turned on in and settings.

Rexer

Distinguished
@burgessanthony. Had a problem with Afterburner. After locking my settings, they reset back to default. ? Lol. So, I decided to run Crimson only w/clockblocker. Monitor began to fritz and kacked. Bought a 144hz monitor (on the advice of the sales guy) with a DVI dual link connection because he said, "No matter if your gpu card can get 90 fps or 120 fps, the best you're going to see is 60 to 80 fps if you're using a 60mhz monitor." Well, that advice was humbling. I had to look that up on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgHx3eMBXjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6igZbQm75s

It did clear up a the stutter stepping a bit so I decide to set Crimson's Global Frame Rate Target control back to 144hz and set my Windows desktop display settings to 144hz. I was able to move the gpu clock up to 1140mhz, power limit to 15%, mem to 1600mhz with 70% fan speed. On BF3 and 4, it's as smooth as glass. CoD Ghost & AW has a small amount shutter (or tear), not a lot. Very playable. I probably can iron it out moving the clocks up 1% or 2%. So it looks sweet. Thanks for tips. Every bit helps.
Right now, my biggest problem is with internet ping. I'm in Sedro Wooley, 80 miles north of Seattle.