i7 860 overheating issue

Jenish_J

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Initially I was using i7 860 with stock cooler in intel dp55wb motherboard. PSU which I used was Antec VP450P with Msi gtx 750ti Twin Frozr. Then I bought Msi gtx 970 twin frozr gpu and corsairTX650 Enthusiast series V2. After installing the new gpu and psu I ran witcher 3. Within few minutes the processor thermal margin came to less than 5 degree Centigrade and the game freezes.

When I switched back to my old gpu and psu, my system works fine. What could be the problem?

Solution
Could be your psu is overheating and shutting off. I had a psu once where the psu was top mounted. The fix was surprisingly simple. To get one strong exhaust fan and mount under the psu and have that fan puking air out of the case. Doing that crafted just enough of a cool breeze under the psu to where it would pull in the air being taken out of the case and would not shut off, whereas before that, there was a hot spot in that area of the case.

Jenish_J

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

Thermal paste is already there. Temps in Gpu is between 60 to 70

Jenish_J

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

CPU stock fan was working fine.

It will run it but I would not do it for a long time, good enough to test and see if the issue is with the card. Although reading back through your post it may be as simple as hot air getting trapped at the top of your case and the CPU sitting in the hot air from the GPU.

Wait, your GPU temps are 60-70? Is this on standby?

1. MAKE SURE YOUR OFFICE HAS NO SPACE HEATERS OR IT HAS PROPER VENTALATION. COOLING SYSTEMS DON'T WORK IN A HOT ROOM
2. MAKE SURE YOUR CASE HAS GOOD AIRFLOW. A TINY CASE WITH CLUSTERS OF WIRE DOESN'T ALLOW AIR TO FLOW EFFICIENTLY.

THOSE TEMPS ARE FAR FROM NORMAL. SCARY. LIKE, WOAH.

My GPU fans do not turn on until after 50°C and normal GPU load temps are in the 60's -70's for current nvidia cards and 70's-80' for AMD cards.
Max temp normally in the 90's and 100's depending on card or generation. Example GTX970 98°C http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

Could be your psu is overheating and shutting off. I had a psu once where the psu was top mounted. The fix was surprisingly simple. To get one strong exhaust fan and mount under the psu and have that fan puking air out of the case. Doing that crafted just enough of a cool breeze under the psu to where it would pull in the air being taken out of the case and would not shut off, whereas before that, there was a hot spot in that area of the case.

Solution