New R9 285 fluctuating GPU usage and clock drop

itsJASPERr

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hello guys :) I've searched for this Problem alot over the last days and found several similar problems but no solution for me.

I recently upgraded my GTX 650 to an MSI R9 285 2G and upgraded the PSU with it (be quiet! 630W). Since the installation of the GPU my PC acts somewhat randomly.

Firstly it shows colored pixels when booting instead of the mobo's picture. Then I had weird 100% SSD load for no reason (this does not happen anymore).

15FJdiw.jpg

When playing CS:GO the GPU usage fluctuates between 0 and 100% constantly until randomly and not reproducable the core clock of the GPU drops from 980 to 300 and the game becomes unplayable. Additionally, the whole System feels stuttering then - at least when opening a stream or something that requires GPU. The temperature does not pass 50°C. A simple reboot does not fix the problem. I actually have to cut off the power and wait a couple of minutes to let it normalize.
My CPU sits at 40%-50% usage and sits at about 50-60°C.

tAHgczW.jpg

I have tried:
- Case open: takes longer for clock to drop - however, the PSU cables connected to the GPU are somewhat squeezed when the case is closed. Could this be a problem too?
- Using PCI x4 slot (it took longer for clock to drop)
- Putting it back to x16 slot (again took longer for clock to drop)
- using my old GPU in x16 (after a day of playing it suddenly showed the same behavior of FPS drops)
- getting rid of all drivers and re-install the newest AMD ones

I dont feel like the results make any sense and this problem is not 100% reproducable. Sometimes when I load up csgo with the highest possible GFX settings it will just run for 2 hours or drop after 5 minutes. My first thought was that the GPU must be faulty - and I still think it is. However I am not sure if it Destroyed something on my mobo, or if the PSU is the problem (which is brand new). I even tried my processor to run 1 core per module. This resulted in about 20 fps less in CSGO and an almost instant drop of the GPU clock.

I run a BenQ 144Hz 24" Monitor and an LG 60hz 22". The windows startup loading screen looks blurry on with vertical stripes on the 144hz one. And I felt like the system would boot faster and respond faster when only having the 60Hz screen connected.

System Specs:

- MSI Gaming 2G R9 285
- AMD FX-8320 @3.5
- ARCTIC Freezer 13
- Gigabyte GA 970A DS3
- 8GB HyperX blu
- Crucial M500 SSD 120GB
- Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W PSU Pure Power
- Windows 10

Solution
I have the same problem in some games like: Far Cry 4,GTA 5.But for example on Witcher 3 i have all the time 100% GPU usage.My GPU usage in FC4 is dropping from 100% to 0% and back.This is causing stuffering. I think you can try OC CPU to like 4,2ghz and maybe run game on SSD.Downclocking the GPU can help too .Hope somethink will work for you..

itsJASPERr

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Here's an update and probably the solution. The colored pixels at boot are gone when disabling the mobo's logo at startup.

I switched out the malfunctioning R9 285 with a R9 380 which seems to function normally. Additionally, the 300 series is supposed to have a more efficient power usage (my psu will thank me). The 380 does not drop its clock - at least it didn't yesterday. But stuttering in-game and the fluctuation in GPU usage was still there (not as crazy as before though). So I read that the 290 / 380 is most capable when playing on 1080p or higher. So I switched everything to the highest in-game options and it seemed to be more smooth. Stuttering still noticeable and GPU usage fluctuation still unchanged. Additionally, CSGO is very cpu dependent and I read it needs strong cores.

So here is what I did: I again set up my CPU to run one core per module to make it a native quad-core. Then overclocked it to avoid the CPU being the bottleneck. It's currently running stable at 4.2/4.3 GHz at 40-50°C. I downclocked the GPU to 850 core and 1275 memory clock to have it kick in earlier. Additionally, I gave it +10%/15% power limit. STUTTERING IS GONE!!! Awesome! But GPU fluctuation is still there...So I guess more CPU overclocking necessary? At 4.4 GHz my PC simply froze at startup so I guess more wattage is needed. I would appreciate comments or suggestions.

Keeping you posted on this, because I think there are more people out there having similar problems running this combination and cannot believe that this kind of CPU is actually bottlenecking.

Drankmagic

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

System Specs:

-MSI Gaming 2GB R9 380
-AMD FX- 8320 3.5 Ghz
-MSI 970 Gaming motherboard
-8GB Hyper X red 1866mhz
-CORSAIR 550W VS550 PSU
-Windows 10

Same problem as you, my gpu usage is crazy 0 to 100% to 33% to 0% 1% and so on...
On my case i was getting around 150 fps avg on 1024x768 with all graphics to low, and after unistalling and installing drivers I found out that msi afterburner was the problem for my low fps on cs. I now have around 200+ most the time even reaching 400 on close areas of inferno. But the usage is still a big problem , on hitman absolution i was with 100% usage all the time on the prologue map and as I reach out to the tennis field the fps droped from 75ish to 35 and the gpu usage droped from 100% to 0% and to other low numbers(btw graphics maxed out with msaa 2x). I noticed that whenever there is more graphics to load the graphics cards says "no, that's to much i wan't to sleep" and the usage just drops down , as you look to a part where there isn't the sun lents flare effects or render distance and the fps go back the usage also goes back to 100% -.-

If you are having any more problems as I am let me know if you have a fix.

sorry for any english mistakes xd

tollph3

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I have the same problem in some games like: Far Cry 4,GTA 5.But for example on Witcher 3 i have all the time 100% GPU usage.My GPU usage in FC4 is dropping from 100% to 0% and back.This is causing stuffering. I think you can try OC CPU to like 4,2ghz and maybe run game on SSD.Downclocking the GPU can help too .Hope somethink will work for you..

Solution