FX-9590 - what temps can i expect to see?

bwells794

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
As the title implies, I am wondering what temperatures i can expect to see with this cpu (it arrives today). I have just built a watercooling loop consisting of a D5 pwm pump/res combo, 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing, EK premixed coolant, 2x 360mm EK Coolstream SE rads with 3x 120mm CoolerMaster JetFlo fans on each, all 6 attached to a dedicated 6ch fan speed controller. coolant path is: Pump->CPU->Rad 1->GPU->Rad 2->Res. Sound pretty solid? I know this chip is imfamous for running hot and i wont be over clocking it, but as long as i can keep this thing cool enough to get a couple years or more out of it I will be more than satisfied.

Solution
I don't know what temps you should expect but have you looked into water cooling options for the motherboards VRM's as the FX9xxx series are notorious for overheating the VRM's on even the best motherboards and is probably the most common issue of the FX9xxx range based on what I have read.
I don't know what temps you should expect but have you looked into water cooling options for the motherboards VRM's as the FX9xxx series are notorious for overheating the VRM's on even the best motherboards and is probably the most common issue of the FX9xxx range based on what I have read.

Solution
You are correct; few motherboards can handle that CPU at full load without throttling by the VRM. AMD Overdrive should be used to check the thermal margins.

bwells794

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I have the UD3 R5 by Gigabyte which is shown as compatible with that cpu on their own website's cpu compatibility chart. I wouldnt be opposed to adding in additional cooling, but is there a way to do it properly without rigging something in with zip ties? For what it's worth, I have the core v71 case with EVERYTHING taken out of it so it's litterally just the mobo assembly, the rads/fans and small pump/res combo. it is VERY spacious and unobstructed air flow from front to back and bottom to top. two 200mm fans pusing into the front of the case with the three 120's on the inside pulling into the case. and those jetflo fans at max speed are CRUCIAL air movers. any suggestions for cooling would be great and i'll look into them.

Edit: i wish i had a pic of it to post. she's a real beauty. very clean install.

One thing to keep in mind with the 9590 and 9370 are they they are binned 8350 picked just to be overclocked so there going to run much hotter then the normal 8350 and that's why they must have a water cooler installed I know all 3 of the gigabyte boards uda 3 5 and 7 will use this chip but the real question is can the vrm handle the extra heat and current required to keep it running and cool?