Will getting another R9 270 in Xfire improve anything at all?

xtremeclowny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
Alright, short version of the story: Mb of my main system died, I am not very willing to spend $150+ on a MB for a system that won't be lasting much longer. The i2500k is kind of old and really, I just don't want to waste any money on the system when the money could be going to a new build. That being said, I also have another system running the FX-6300 at 4.1 ghz, R9 270 boosted to 1043 mhz, also went ahead and added the ram from the dead system to this one. They are the same voltage except that 2 sticks are 1333 and the other 2 are 1600. Max temp for the GPU is 63 and 62 for the CPU. Some games run okay. However, I can't seem to be able to run Rainbow six. Settings are on medium but there is massive fps drop whenever the round begins. There is also the flickering but it seems to be due to the drivers since I had the same issue on the dead system (GPU 7950).

I'm thinking of maybe grabbing another 270 to Xfire but I am not sure of what to expect. Some people claim there will barely be a 30% boost in performace but then there is always the review claiming that 270's in Xfire are only slightly outperformed by a single R9 290. Do any of you have any experience Xfiring this particular card? I want to know if it's worth it or not. Else, I should just start saving for a new build.

I guess there are other configs I can try. I could switch out the 270 with the 7950 from the dead system. Then, I could just start a new (Mini) build with the i2500k and the R9 270. Micro boards for the 2500k aren't as expensive and most of them will be able to accommodate the 270. I could use the system to run Windows XP. I've been wanting to get a XP build to run older games. My only expenditures would be the MB, cheap ram and a case. This way the only things going to waste from my old system would be the Case/heatsink/fans.

I'm assuming the Fx-6300 at 4.1 ghz with the 7950 will be able to run Rainbow six and a few other games for a while? Or at least last long enough for me to create a new build. Or would Xfiring the 270's provide better performance?

Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
For your system Crossfire doesn't seem like a good plan. With the 990FX chipset you see the best crossfire results but even then not always so good, especially not in systems like yours. Support for it is simply poor and we have no clue what kind of power supply you have and if it can even support R9 270 crossfire.

The flickering is not normal though.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
For your system Crossfire doesn't seem like a good plan. With the 990FX chipset you see the best crossfire results but even then not always so good, especially not in systems like yours. Support for it is simply poor and we have no clue what kind of power supply you have and if it can even support R9 270 crossfire.

The flickering is not normal though.

Solution

xtremeclowny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012

990FX is the only board that can Xfire then? I'm not worried about the power supply. Can always get a new one.

This is the MBI am using.

Also, turns out the flickering was due to the extra ram.

xtremeclowny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm, I see. Just out of curiosity, how did people xfire/sli before the 990 was developed?

Hornigold

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I got a second 270x for cheap, and it wasn't a good idea. Ended up selling it for less then I bought it for.
A lot of games weren't too friendly towards it, may have been my set up though.

xtremeclowny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012

Alright, I guess. Any suggestions as what to do with the mess I have? Spending $150+ on an outdated system seems counterproductive.

xtremeclowny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's some that worries me a bit. Games not being optimized for Xfire. Specially newer games. Guess I'll be passing on the Xfire </3