FX 8350 Stability Concerns For GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 4.1
CPU Choices: Fx 8350/FX 8320 Current CPU: Fx 4100
GPU: R9 390
PSU: CX750m

Now I will be getting this CPU soon but I have been doing some research and apparently this motherboard has been getting some flak in terms of it's VRM's not being at all great which as far as I know is for its overclocking ability?.. So I have been thinking should I go for the FX8320 and overclock it to essentially become a FX8350 or with that knowledge of the VRM not being great wouldn't it be better to just get the FX8350 for that matter.. Along side with that I have been hearing that the FX8350 doesn't play nice with a few motherboards so the other option could be that if I was going to go FX8320 is to leave it as default and not overclock it at all.. I could do with some advise

Your concerns are well-founded. That board is not intended for 125W chips, and certainly not for the 150 to 200W that chip could draw if overclocked to the max. The power delivery circuits and components are not up to it. They are very likely to overheat and you will get throttling of your CPU.

The limits are all about power draw. If anything, an 8350 will draw less power than a 8320 at the same speed. That's what a higher binned chip is all about.

You need to think about the future and what you want to do now. Putting a FX83xx in that board will stress it significantly and will reduce its remaining life-span. If you overclock, it will limit your CPU and further reduce the life of the board. (I don't mean that it will die in a couple of days, but that two years of remaining life may be reduced to one year, or six months :( ). When the board fails. what do you plan to do?

If you cannot really have this happen, I suggest you use a FX6300 instead. In most games, a well overclocked FX 6300 will outperform a poorly overclocked FX8320 or 8350.

So, why are you upgrading to this chip and what do you use your system for?

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

See... You say that the board is not intended for 125w chips... But the summary says other wise.. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov
as it says in the third bullet point "4+1 Phase CPU Power design for AMD high TDP 125W CPU support" now I have not heard that this mobo isn't intended for a 125 TDP CPU I have only heard that it hasn't a great OC ability.. And the reason why I am upgrading to this chip in particular is that because I want to utilize the best of my R9 390 since it is already a GPU that is more powerful that the CPU can actually cope with since I am actually intending on switching to a i7 4770k in the span of a year or so.. This is more of a temp solution so if it is that you are concerned about it giving in worst case 6 months.. That I am not concerned with seeing that this is not a perm solution.. And what I shall use the system for is just for gaming/emulation use no editing of sorts

I know what Gigabytes says and i know what reality is. I stand by my comments. The 125W they are talking about is an overclocked 95W FX 6300 and the fact that a FX8320 will run on the board. Just because the 8320 will run, does not mean that it will handle the stresses of driving your R9 390.

So, since you plan to upgrade later, getting a cheaper 8320 is probably a better decision and, no matter how you read what Gigabyte says, you will experience some throttling due to power delivery, which you will be able to confirm (or refute) by running the 3DMark suite of Benchmarks and by comparing your performance with other people using the same CPU and GPU, but different motherboard. Like CPUs, every motherboard is a little different due to manufacturing differences and component differences, yours may be above or below average. We will find out when you make the upgrade.

4+1 power phases is not appropriate for a FX8320 doing gaming or any other high-performance use. A car will run on a 500cc engine, but it is not appropriate. There is a difference between run and intended. Intended means a deliberate design purpose. This board is NOT designed for the four-module FX83xx series of processor.

The chipset and motherboard design predates the FX8300.

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

I honestly need a more.. Accurate conclusion?.. If that is the right way to put it.. I don't want to go for a CPU on the word of "Usually cause CPU throttling" So far it does seem feasible to have a FX 8350 chip but with that chip I don't intend to OC.. If I was to go for anything below I would need to OC it.. I do know now that the FX 8320 is out of the mix so it is more between a 4.5ghz overclocked FX 6300 or a stock FX 8350 I have also seen users use this combo and have said they have not had any issues but of course I want more convincing

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

So going for a FX 8320 is now feasible? I feel that I might go for this then.. But again I would like it to be OC'd or should I just leave it at stock?

It's your financial choice.

I suggested the 8320 because it is cheaper, although it will also be slower. A stock 8350 will be faster but more expensive. You made the point that you planned to upgrade to Intel, fairly soon, so I suggested an economical solution. People who know their stuff avoid absolutes a lot of the time. Every chip and motherboard is a little different, as is every use profile. If you have a great motherboard and get a very efficient chip, and play the right games, you may notice no or little throttling. With another combination, you may have something no better than your existing system.

Our advice is usually based on what we would do with our money in your situation and with your budget.

Whatever you get, I would buy a good aftermarket CPU cooler, preferably a downdraft cooler that will help cool the motherboard. You will need it for the i7 4770K, so make sure it will work for that too. You will have to buy this anyway, so all you are doing is getting it sooner. Run your FX 83xx CPU at stock and benchmark it as I suggested and find out how much throttling you are getting. You may also need to benchmark the specific games you play. You can then make a decision on whether or not OC will help or even try it to see what happens. You can always turn down the wick, or even undervolt your CPU if that will help.

This approach will allow you to get the best out of your system and to determine what the best is.

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Well seeing that my budget is capable of getting a FX 8350.. It will not be OC'd but if it is that it is throttling I shall undervolt it I appreciate the help =]

I wouldn't run an 8 core on the 78lmt full stop myself - & this is from experience as I have done myself in the past.
Youre certainly throwing money away even considering buying & undervolting an 8350 (if you get a good one) as opposed to buying an 8320 & overclocking on stock voltage.

either way neither are a good choice mate - you need to read up on vrm's,voltage regulation & what that tdp rating actually means (essentially its fairly irrelevant & inaccurate)

buy a 6300 & a good cooler,overclock it to 4.2ghz which is 100% achievable on that board stable & will give you by far your best bang for buck upgrade.

an 8320 youll be stuck at stock speeds,an 8350 absolutely 100% will throttle - an overclocked 6300 will beat both of those scenarios in gaming.
You will NOT be undervolting an 8350 with any kind of stability on that board,trust me on that.

Ill go into more detail if you require but If youve already made up your mind it'd be kind of pointless.

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Which is why I am asking about this before even coming to a final conclusion.. I still have a week or so till I will get it so It does seem that the 6300 is looking good but again there is alot of people that seem conflicted on either it working or not with this board.. Going into more detail would further more have me a more better conclusion

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Now... How about the FX 6350? Is that a viable option?

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

So if I was to overclock that to something like 4.4ghz with a decent cooler if that is possible with my board... Would that be essentially be better than a fx 8350?

If you are using the system for gamin, yes. Most gaming uses three or fewer AMD modules and you will be able to get a higher sustained overclock out of the FX63xx on that board than you will with a FX83xx.

Search around the Internet and you will find quite a few people who have a problem overclocking or even running FX83xx on the board, and people who run well overclocked FX63xx on it.

I can sense your uncertainty. If you look around you will find the information to guide you to your final decision.

Josh12419

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Well of course I an uncertain xD don't want to go frying my money up after all, I will go do just that, I will leave this thread up if it is I have any other concerns, appreciate the aid for now