$200-300 Gaming PC Upgrade (Gateway GM5416E)

HackintoshLife

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully this month or next

Budget Range: 200-300 After Rebates; After Shipping

System Usage: Gaming and Editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Ram, Video Card, and motherboard if needed (Don't know the name of the power supply, but it's a 300 watt. Will upgrade if

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Parts Preferences by brand or type: I would like to upgrade to a newer Intel CPU and a Geforce video card.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Would like to upgrade to atleast 1280x1024

Additional Comments: I would like to use this PC for powerful games such as GTA 5, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: The computer is too slow, and too old to run games.

Solution
Before putting your hard drive into your new build, backup all your data as you will need to reinstall Windows.
This build is Skylake so it is future upgardable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 400GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar...

HackintoshLife

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

The $300 is for the computer parts alone, but monitor can be payed separate. The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. The video card is an Nvidia Geforce 6150SE Nforce 430. Windows 7, a 400gb hdd, and only 2gb DDR2 ram. The motherboard is a GM5420 and DOES support PCI Express ×16.

Before putting your hard drive into your new build, backup all your data as you will need to reinstall Windows.
This build is Skylake so it is future upgardable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 400GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $332.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-10 21:24 EST-0500

Solution
Since you listed your current location as Englewood NJ, I looked up on microcenter, which is where I buy most of my parts, it looks like you've got a microcenter about 20 minutes from you over in paterson.

With your budget I'd check with them. I think with your budget, and I'm usually not one to recommend an APU, but they show on their site an a10 7870k with a board for 134. The APU would have a decent graphics chip. I'd figure for 200 you could get the ram as well, which wood leave you another 100 for a case and psu. I would recommend for the case to get the Diablotek Evo if they still have it.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/441632/EVO_III_ATX_Mid-Tower_Computer_Case

The thing I like about that case is it's a decent size, but comes with 4 fans pre-installed so plenty of room for cooling. For a power supply, probably the evga 500b.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/457410/500B_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

I have the 600b. For the budget I think the 500b would be decent.

Also check newegg and amazon pricing because I think they will price match. But I think I'd look that route so you could do some gaming and add a better dedicated video card later.

Also the build above is not bad, I don't like the dual core myself. It's a fine cpu, but games are going to start wanting more cores as time goes on. So that's something to consider.

Also I know I mentioned an apu, but the other route you can go is microcenter also has the fx 6300 with a board for 106, which you could use money saved toward a video card.

But as the guy above said you could upgrade that pentium cpu later, so you have a few good options. Microcenter should also have the Intel parts as well if you go that route. May ask about their 2 year replacement plans, I've rebuilt systems before because of those. So night be worth asking about.

He has $300 to spend. I give him a completely new Skylake build with DDR4 memory alongside GTX 750 Ti.

G4400 + 750 Ti will have no (or at least very little) stutters in GTA V and BO3 which is what he was aiming for. I have nothing against APUs but G4400 + 750 Ti combo is better and will be better in the long run as he will be able to upgrade to LGA1151 i5 or i7 while the FM2+ platform is already almost dead and the case you chose is very cheap and horrible quality. VP-450 is actually higher quality than the EVGA PSU you suggested.

Agreed on that point. I actually edited my post above. Only thing I don't like it's the dual core, but good point if he's wanting to upgrade. I just remember like far cry 4 for example not wanting to launch if you only had the dual. Might be worth seeing if he's planning to overclock as well.

Have heard good about antec, I've had good luck with my evga psu, and think Jonny guru posted a review on that 500. Either way, neither of should blow up on him.